Singapore Blue!

trivium160

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK i just ordered a Sinagapore Blue........can you guys gimme all the info you have on them? I'm going to put in in an arboreal cage frm the Tarantulacages.com guy or i can house it in a 5 gallon. Tell me all you know please from behavior to habitat... all the good stuff thanks!

thanks,Trivium

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep it like a pokie. Skittish little thangs(well, not so much the little part). Hardly ever see mine.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
C. sp. "blue" is much more defensive then any pokie. I've almost been bit by my juvie many many times.

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have two right now... one is extremely skittish and stays on the ground most of the time...sometimes she even huddles up in her hide but most of the time she's out in the open... just not being an arboreal like I'd want her to. The other is really even tempered and hangs out in the 'trees' all day. They really are pretty much polar opposites for being the same species. One is about a molt ahead of the other and they're both female. Both eat a lot, too... I've yet to have one refuse a cricket.

For my girls I've never actually seen a threat pose or anything I could consider defensive behavior.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never had defensive behavior from either of mine, but I'm sure it happens.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
really? are they considered aggresive? please fill me in!
Well no T is aggressive, but I would say that C. sp. "blue" is more defensive then pokies, and less the OBTs. It's in between. You'll be fine if you don't bother it. :eek:

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what should i house th sling in?
Anything of appropriate size with ventilation. Perhaps a vial or pill bottle, ect. Put some peat in the bottom and keep it somewhat moist. When it gets larger, which won't take very long, it'll do fine in the typical vertical arboreal setup. Moist sub and corkbark.

trivium160

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i am gonna put it in an arboel setup or a 5 gallon. should i just go with the arboreal setup?

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i am gonna put it in an arboel setup or a 5 gallon. should i just go with the arboreal setup?
Probably, unless you'd like to modify the 5 gallon to stand on end. I mean, it would probably do fine in a typical 5 gallon, but arboreals in general tend to appreciate vertical space more.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you're getting a sling, keep it in a small container or vial for now. When it gets older a 5 gallon will be perfect.

Nice name btw. Trivium \m/!

"Building up the walls to surround us in
From a world built on sin"

trivium160

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok can't i just put it in an arboreal setup now? i just have issues using a vial cause i have never done it. in the wild it would not be confined to such a small space can it not survive?

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It'll be fine. You'll just quickly find out that it can be a huge pain keeping something that small in something that big, for a multitude of reasons.

trivium160

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well please tell me the reasons! thats what i need to know before i receive it!

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well please tell me the reasons! thats what i need to know before i receive it!

You need to be able to monitor it. In larger containers it will get lost. Also you need to be able to control the food that you feed it. By keeping it in a smaller enclosure it allows your spider a better chance of getting the prey items. You will see this when you get it. Also you will want a smaller enclosure so that you can control the humidity better to avoid dessication.

--Chris

Last edited:

trivium160

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
omg thats aweful crikets really are evil! ok if i feed it worms and crikets by tweezer would it be ok then? i'm just scared of controling such a small amount of space....

trivium160

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if you guys are the expertas then i will do what is told but it seems hard to keep a spider in a pill vial till it is 3inch's big.