Is there A Fastest Striking T???

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had the pleasure of catching my H minax in action tonight(hence the idea for the thread) and was amazed at his speed of striking.

Here is a link if you wanna see it. I replayed it at a slower rate and was pretty impressed at what this T did in less than a second.

So after seeing this I was wondering if there are some T's that can strike faster than others or are they all generally the same??

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know, but I had a male Hysterocrates sp.(sold as gigas) that literally never struck at all. It would gently pin prey with it's palps and then slowly chomp into them. It ate quite a bit, but if the prey item happened to be fiesty enough to escape it's grasp, they would be home free. Never once did I witness him step his game up. Not even on the first meal after a molt.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, that was cool, but actually I think pretty slow compared to my Selenocosmia and P. murinus. He did that little creep up, these just 'teleport' out. P. canceridies are pretty quick too. Also, trapdoors (while not tarantulas) are really fast.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also have a Hysterocrates sp with strange behaviour. In the first few months it never ate and never grew. The last couple months it eats everything I offer. Crics will get killed slowly but mealworms seem to be the toy of choice. Mine likes to play with the worms gently for a while before casually slipping his two fangs in.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, that was cool, but actually I think pretty slow compared to my Selenocosmia and P. murinus. He did that little creep up, these just 'teleport' out. P. canceridies are pretty quick too. Also, trapdoors (while not tarantulas) are really fast.
I've also seen my OBT being very fast.
I noticed that when I played the vid in slow motion the cric turned to jump away the very second the T started it's strike. I mean that's fractions of a second and somehow the cric got away. :? And it had one back leg removed.:wall:

Fenrir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My A. Seemanni is faster than my OBT when it comes to food. Ive seen that fat little girl jump 4 inches for crickets which my OBT comes close to that speed but not as fast when feeding. She is slow in everything not pertaining to food though. Not so sure if she really is an A. Seemanni though cause she is from a petshop. Very fast when food is on her mind though.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mean that's fractions of a second and somehow the cric got away.
'

The cerci are connected to the thoracic leg ganglion directly. This way, it can sense motion and be told to move away without ever having to process it through the brain. Totally cool huh?

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
'

The cerci are connected to the thoracic leg ganglion directly. This way, it can sense motion and be told to move away without ever having to process it through the brain. Totally cool huh?
well by the general definition of a brain whatever's between the senses and the muscles counts as one ;)

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
'

That is cool.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No idea what is the fastest striking T, but my B. albopilosum is always ready for a meal. One time I was fishing out crickets to feed slings in the vials and had her little margarine container home open on the table at the same timeto feed her should I grab big one. Anyway, a cricket hopped out of the tub, ran around and hopped a few times on the table as I tried clumsily to get it, and then hopped into the albos container. Needless to say that was the last hop! Also, she is almost as fast when the prey is coming from behind.

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Psalmos (I've got irminia and cambridgei) are the fastest "strikers" I've got. They're a little over 1" each and are really like greased lightning. One of them, in particular will run over to where a cricket is "DROPPING" and either catch it in the air or catch it one the "one-hop". And with this guy, I've NEVER seen the cricket get away. Simply amazing. :} :D

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well by the general definition of a brain whatever's between the senses and the muscles counts as one
In this case it's just the nerve chord. The brain is located in the head. The cerci signal reaches the brain after it reaches the legs and then the brain starts sending visual and other needed signals and directing the escape.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
'

sounds like a spinal reflex arc a little bit, in higher animals

trapdoor spiders with a proper setup burrow can strike and retract unbelievably fast. i saw one in nature that was just about one of the fastest strikes i have ever seen. they hook on to the lip of their burrow and use their back legs to pullthemselves back into the hole, door shut. at least that is what i sort of got the impression of. it was just this side of perceptibly fast... much quicker and it would have been a total blur.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would gently pin prey with it's palps and then slowly chomp into them.
I have an adult Rosea that fits this description very well. She seem to feel down the prey before making the impalement. All in her own good time. She also "stalks" in slowmotion, although she probably doesn't mean to herself :eek:

P. canceridies are pretty quick too.
Yup, my female 3-4" P. Cancerides actually seem to jump on top of the prey sometimes. A little bounce, so to say. Pretty unusual and neat to watch.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an adult Rosea that fits this description very well. She seem to feel down the prey before making the impalement. All in her own good time. She also "stalks" in slowmotion, although she probably doesn't mean to herself :O
My old rosea used to do this also. She'd pin them for hours. Is it a trait particulary with roseas? Or does it occur equally across the species?

LMS

Pink-Poodle88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All tarantulas I've seen generally just sit there, and when the prey item moves close enough, strike at the speed of light. Or, they'll walk towards it, and then when close enough, strike at the speed of light. It looks like they're all about the same speed in that respect, even the slow moving ones, but it's too fast for the human eye to really be sure. I'd think you'd have to do a series of experiments with several species, recording them striking, and slowing the videos down or something to really find out I guess.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@ Pink-Poodle - Yeah I would really love that. My camera only does 30 frames per second and the time taken for him to strike was like 10 frames. That's 0.033 seconds. I took it from the moment it launched out of the burrow to it's position outside. It's amazing what you can pick up, even with only 30fps. If I had the time and software I would paste those 10 frames.

Anyone have reflexes that quick???

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@ Pink-Poodle - Yeah I would really love that. My camera only does 30 frames per second and the time taken for him to strike was like 10 frames. That's 0.033 seconds. I took it from the moment it launched out of the burrow to it's position outside. It's amazing what you can pick up, even with only 30fps. If I had the time and software I would paste those 10 frames.

Anyone have reflexes that quick???
let me think about this... i don't think it is possible to have eye-to-hand reflexes that fast. in part because nerve impulses travel at around 140mph, iirc. it is about a four foot track from my eye to my brain to my hand... so not counting processing there is going to be 140mph = 7392420 feet per hour = 2053 feet per second... so in 0.033 seconds.. oh, actually nerve impulses can travel 60+ feet in that time. that should actually be ok. i still think processing is going to take more than .03 seconds... not to mention the inertia in your hand or whatever

but if you combine a little predictivity... i have shut containers faster than a bug could escape and hand dodged various animal strikes... but only when i "know" what is going to happen ahead of time, like

you could probably do some kind of somewhat useful spinal reflex arc in .03 seconds though. it would be useful in the sense of damage avoidance... but could probably hurt your spider or whatever if it is biting you. spinal reflex arcs are sensor impulses that hit your spine and trigger action WITHOUT BEING PROCESSED by your brain!

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
personally the fastest striking T's i've witnessed so far are my Tapinauchenius purpureus and Ephebopus uatumans...the Tap in particular being quite the little motorhead hehe...she's the only arborial i've ever owned that will jump out of her "tree" and pounce on critters in the substrate...and it happens so fast that it's hard to follow it with your eyes...just one second there's a spider on cork bark and the next there's a spider eating a cricket on the floor of the enclosure lol

the E. uatumans is also pretty fast but not as impressive as the Tap imho because she doesn't shoot across her enclosure like the Tap does...but let a cricket even touch her hide and it's gone:)

Harvey