Unexpected Thanksgiving Guest!!

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW!!!

i just had the most amazing experience!!

i was just sitting outside in my backyard while the dogs were running around. Without even seeing it coming, i felt a huge wing brush firmly across the top of my head and down the front of my face. i opened my eyes expecting to see a misguided crow next to me.

It wasn't a crow and it was definately no thanksgiving turkey!

Sitting next to me was an immature Cooper's Hawk!!

i could hardly believe my eyes! He actually sat immediately next to me for several minutes; even with the dogs rough housing in the yard. He then casually flew a few feet away on my wall. i was wishing like heck i had my camera nearby - wishing even more i actually owned a decent camera.

i gathered the dogs inside and ran out with my camera. i got just a couple pics of this awesome visitor before he flew away.

jules

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And come to think that I jump around when I see a hummingbird in the garden :D

Those Hawks are pretty rare, at least from my horrific memory.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Gorgeous bird!! Fun to have close encounters with them isnt it!

When my daughter was 4 weeks old a western screech owl flew into our house and landed on her head!!! We figure thats her guardian spirit.
My second daughter was bitten by a goose on the top of her head at 2 weeks... wonder what that means..

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And come to think that I jump around when I see a hummingbird in the garden :D

Those Hawks are pretty rare, at least from my horrific memory.

Cooper's are found in our 48 contiguous states. As with many raptors there numbers have declined for many reasons. They are less common in the East and still listed as endangered or threatened in many states. While they aren't exactly rare here in southern CA, you don't see them everyday like the more common Red-Tailed Hawk and Red-Shouldered Hawks.

i was fortunate to spend a couple years working with a vet licensed to treat birds of prey and other wildlife. During that time i saw many birds of prey. i will never forget the Golden Eagle we had for several months after she had a serious injury in one of her wings after running into a power line. Thankfully a good samaritan saw her and called animal control services. Turns out a friend of my vet had actually banded her when she was still a hatchling in the nest. She was around 20 years old.

We had to find a special board qualified surgeon (who didn't actually work on birds by the way but was an awesome surgeon) to repair her injury. We got frequent reports from the man who found her telling us that her mate was still in the area. She took months to heal and required physical therapy and exercise to rebuild her muscles.

i will never forget the morning we released her. We left before sun up and just at dawn returned her to freedom. Her mate immediately appeared and joined her in flight. It was an awestruck feeling i will always remember and appreciate.

Sorry this was so long. i guess seeing this little Cooper's Hawk brough it all back. It was so crazy when he was sitting right next to me. We both stared at each other; like what now?

jules

P.S. i love little hummers too!

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
awesome coop! my turkey day birds were a crested caracara and a harris hawk along HW 77. the harris is a life lister woo hoo happy holidays

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a gorgeous bird. Looks really intelligent doesn't it?

All birds of prey seem to be the physical embodyment of pride.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have seen a few here in San Diego, sometime attacking pigeon right out of mid air. it is definitely an amazing bird

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just love the great birds of prey. I see some of the more common hawks occasionally here in Ohio. I was telling my husband they're so amazing because they seem so unlike regular birds with their stare. They just have this look of intelligence and power that just makes me want to stare at them for hours. Really amazing stuff Jules, thanks for sharing!