Cobalt Fell =(

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
My cobalt fell from a pretty high distance =( but she seems to be ok except for an injured leg which is a lot better than her abdomen splitting. I am going to get her in a small plastic container to get a better look at her. I really hope she is ok.

peace

TheDon

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Just curious has anyone had their tarantula fall from about 4ft and survive? mine fell from about that and she seems fine. What does T blood look like? clear? someone please answer I feel horrible about what happened.

peace

TheDon

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've heard arboreals can fall from even higher distances and still be ok, but they are made to be able to have some accidents. I've not heard of a terrestrial falling from that distance and being ok though unless it happened to land some where really soft and cushioned. I seem to remember one falling from waist height and it seemed fine for a couple weeks only to die then. It was thought to have gotten some internal injury from the fall. Their blood is mostly clear to yellowish from what I've seen...

You might want to keep her in an ICU for a couple days to make sure she's doing fine before putting her back in her regular enclosure... I hope she's fine too.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Man I hope there is no internal injuries because everything looks fine on her, from what I can tell now there isnt even a leg injury. I just may be the luckiest person ever. Well atleast I hope so, I would hate to lose any of my T's and this one is no exception. Everyone who reads please say a prayer for my Cobalt.

peace

TheDon

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good luck with your Cobalt, I'm glad it seems to be ok.

How did it fall, did it get out of it's container?

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What does T blood look like? clear? someone please answer I feel horrible about what happened.

Hi,

T blood is a clear to pale blue thick substance. They dont bleed out quick, it is more of an "ooze". On a leg it will sometimes appear as a clearish blob on a leg segment.

Hope that helps,

take care, Dean
www.tarantulastop.com

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Flying rosie

Hi
Here's a story of my flying rosie. Several years ago I was putting a mealworm into the cage with a pair of tweezers, and when the meal worm wiggled my normally docile rosie leapt onto the tweezers from about 6 inches away. It scared me so much that I pulled my hand out really fast, and at the same time she jumped of the tweezers. The result was that she flew across my kitchen and fell on the floor near the kitchen table, at least 7 feet away. First off I scooped up my two cats and locked them in the bathroom, then I went to examine what I thought would be a mortally injured T. Unbelievably, she was on her way up the table leg. No broken limbs, no burst abdomen, no blood, nothing! :?
I put her back and watched her carefully for several days, but she showed no injury at all. She lived for a long time and finally I had to give her away because of a pending move in my life. I wonder if T's are like cats, if they have long enough in the air, they can relax their muscles so that the impact is less damaging (cats falling from a 1st storey balcony are often injured more than a cat falling from 4 or 5 stories). Anyhow, I guess it is possible for T's to withstand some pretty trecherous falls. Nature is tough.
Hope your cobalt is as fortunate.
Tamara

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Thats pretty much what happened with mine. I was using a paintbrush to try and get her to move and she lunged at it and for her safety i moved it out of the way but she was faster and I guess had latched on and she kinda flung out. I felt absolutely awful about it and have been really worried. But today I checked on her and she is as grouchy as ever so I think she has recouped and it looks like there are no serious injuries. Maybe just 1 leg but even that I cant really tell yet.

Thank You everyone for your replies.

peace

TheDon