G. rosea- How fat is too fat, and other questions...

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have had my rose for about 3 weeks, and have been feeding him/her about 4-6 times/week. I know this is kinda a lot, but I want her to be well off fat-wise, but not too fat. Right now, her/his abdomen is about as wide as its 'head', and about 1/3 longer (not inches, relative length, though pretty close). How fat is too fat?

Also, she/he has a small~ish water dish, but I was wondering if I needed to mist her/him at all? My room is kinda dry, and the window is open frequently, and I lack a hydrometer/humidity monitor.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have had my rose for about 3 weeks, and have been feeding him/her about 4-6 times/week. I know this is kinda a lot, but I want her to be well off fat-wise, but not too fat.
It is WAY too much. You do not need to purposely hurry to get a tarantula to a certain weight. Just throw it two crickets a week, or two every two weeks. Powerfeeding (ie overfeeding like you are) is just going to speed up the molt cycle, which is what determines how long a tarantula lives.

Say a male has 30 (completely made-up number) molts before maturity which comes before death. At a normal pace, say it takes ten years (completely made-up number). But if you overfeed him constantly, the molts will happen faster, and it might only take five (completely made-up number). It's almost certainly similar for females, since SOMETHING has to determine when they're dying of old age and they are otherwise identical to males (molt cycles = growth = reaching sexual maturity, molt cycles affected by overfeeding) with the exception of it not being obvious when they've had their final molt.

Also, she/he has a small~ish water dish, but I was wondering if I needed to mist her/him at all? My room is kinda dry, and the window is open frequently, and I lack a hydrometer/humidity monitor.
Never ever ever mist her or her enclosure, and never ever ever listen to any care sheet that tells you this species needs a certain humidity percentage or a hydrometer. They are super desert species, do NOT require high humidity, and will spaz out and be miserable if they get so much as one toe wet. Get the dirt wet and they'll stick to the walls for days or weeks until it dries out.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like you need to get that fat mother running laps around the tank. Beached whale.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
your rosea is soooo fat when she goes to the beach green peace pushes her into the water!!! OHHHHH!!!!

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your rosea's so fat that when it goes to the movies, it sits next to everyone.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when your rosea goes to the swimming pool sea levels rise!

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your rosea's so fat that when it hauls ass, it has to make two trips.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
your roseas sooo fat when you look at a map of the world you can see her on it!

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright, your rosea's so fat her blood type's Crisco. Step yah game up, playa.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yooo roseas sooo fat people rub her on the abdomen for good luck!

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yo rosea sooo fat it cant walk, it will gain to much momentum and wont be able to stop!

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your rosea's so fat last time she saw 90210 was on the scale, with 3 legs off.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yo rosea sooo fat BEFORE she got on the scale it read "to be continued"