suggestions on post sac care for female and sac care

arachnophoria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can read about my rosea and how the sac came about in the thread ''opinions and behavior question''.I would appreciate any assistance with my first egg sac and post partem female:D Thanks

arachnophoria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess my specific question are:
Should I offer the female food right away?
Should I increase temps or humidity at all?
If the eggs begin to rot,will she eat or reject the sac?
Thanks folks...I know someone will have some very helpful advice this evening.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess my specific question are:
Should I offer the female food right away?
Should I increase temps or humidity at all?
If the eggs begin to rot,will she eat or reject the sac?
Thanks folks...I know someone will have some very helpful advice this evening.
1- I personally don't feed any of my mothers that have sacs. Reasons why are, I don't want to stress her to much, and I don't want other critters attracted to the egg sac that could ultimately kill the sac. (mites and such)

2- No do not raise the temps. If you got her to lay the sac, then she was comfortable enough to do that so why change anything?

3- If the eggs are bad more often then not the female will reject the sac in one of three ways. She might bury it. She might eat it. And she might discard it in a corner or some other part of the tank. DO NOT mistake her wandering away from the sac for short periods as a sign she has abandoned the sac. When wandering like that is seen, more often then not she is not ignoring the sac she is just out on a patrol.

arachnophoria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Makes very good sense to me.:D
She is gaurding the sac with all of her might and sitting on top of it.It doesn't seem very full,but I'm sure it is,b/c her rump went from full to VERY thin after the ball of silk was finished.She's not very big...maybe 3'' or so.She was a gift bought at a pet store,so whatever happens with the eggs is Ok with me and good practice for me.I think it's so very neat how this all happened though...I love looking in on my 8 legged menagerie every day...always something new to see.Thanks for the reply.

imjim

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Makes very good sense to me.:D
She is gaurding the sac with all of her might and sitting on top of it.It doesn't seem very full,but I'm sure it is,b/c her rump went from full to VERY thin after the ball of silk was finished.She's not very big...maybe 3'' or so.She was a gift bought at a pet store,so whatever happens with the eggs is Ok with me and good practice for me.I think it's so very neat how this all happened though...I love looking in on my 8 legged menagerie every day...always something new to see.Thanks for the reply.
I am in the same situation as I purchased a Chilean rose with eggsac. This is also my first tarantula.

She is still sitting on it like a mother hen.

I feed her with the logic to keep her strong but it seems she is more interested in getting the crickets out of there and to dispose of a possible threat rather than eating from hunger.

I stopped feeding her since noticing that she would turn and attack the cricket rather than seeking it.

At least now she maybe too full to eat the eggsac ; )

Also I tried misting her and she didn't she like that either as she began silking the area - I assume to protect the eggsac.

I am since backing off with my "logic" and letting nature take its course ; )

TalkenLate04 and others are keeping me informed and their advice seems to be spot on. Thank You

Last edited:

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Roseas just *hate* being misted, so just take it easy, keep her water dish filled, and maybe feed her, IF she looks really skinny. But the more she gets disturbed, it increases the chances of her getting stressed out and eating the eggsac.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Also I tried misting her and she didn't she like that either as she began silking the area - I assume to protect the eggsac.

Don't do that ! The mist will ruin the eggs. Too much moisture results in a rotten egg sack. It was ideal before or she wouldn't have dropped the sack. Don't change anything ! Just leave be be for at least 35 days !