Aphonopelma Sp.????

Spider45

Arachnopeon
Ok people, I'm counting on you to give me a more precise name, common or scientific. I picked this one up at a local pet store with only the label Aphonopelma Sp on it.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm gonna say hentzi..

But there are a few sp that are the same I guess.. Good find, I would have bought it too :D Even though it's common. Just not around here for some reason.

thevez2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks just like my hentzi, but there are a few other species that look very similar too.

Ask the store where they got it. If it was locally collected in OK, then it is definitely hentzi.

Spider45

Arachnopeon
The store I bought it from had no idea, just aphonopelma Sp. I'd like to label it a little more specific.

Jim

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is NO way to positively i.d. that Aphonopelma from pictures...it is Aphonopelma sp. If you can get a locality from where it was collected, which it is almost certainly WC, it will help with finding out the name.

Chris

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha I have the same problem. I have a small approx. 3" aphonopelma sp. on my hands that looks exactly like that. I, too, would like to know what it is!

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah i really don't see why people are so fast to say A. hentzi... You should ask them where it was found.

Spider45

Arachnopeon
Thats my problem, I asked him where it came from and he had no idea....So I hoped that someone here had a good educated guess.....

Thanks Jim

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well then, I think the best guess would be a.hentzi, simply because you are from Oklahoma. That could very well be the same aphonopelma as mine too, then. Anyone else care to agree/disagree?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
looks similar to my hentzi, but aphonopelma are hard, just as said above.

maybe its the lighting or the flash, but does it have reddish hairs on the legs? mine does. that might also be an indicator.

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hard to say what species it is without exact collection data, and even then there could be confusion. Aphonopelma is a genus that definately has a lot of similar looking species in it. A good exuvium and a Theraphosid taxonimist might get it to species!{D

Spider45

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone, I guess I'll have to just put it down as Aphlonopelma Sp. "unknown".

Jim