Babycurus jacksoni

Leonidas

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is it deadly venomous.I,M 13 years old,i have no problem when being stung by wasps,so can i keep this species or ill die if get tung?

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No one knows for sure until you get stung. If you are unfortunate to have a serious allergic reaction. Even a level 1 scorp like an emperor can cause serious problems. So it would be best if you kept them properly to avoid getting tagged.

I suggest you ask your folks if they will allow you to keep one. B. jacksoni is a beautiful scorp. Good luck!

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard levels anywhere from 2 to 3.5 out of 5 on the venom scale.
I have 8 and they aren't aggressive "yet" I can handle them when I feel like it but they are sooo tiny and fast I don't advise it.
When I first got my 2nd instars for the first time I could almost fit my first 3 on a penny so there is an idea if size.

Care Sheets
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/eycb/scorpions/FBabycurusJacksoni.htm
http://visualadvance.com/invertcare/caresheets/scorpions/Babycurus/Babycurusjacksoni.html

BTW Huge pics. Sorry, heading to work and didn't have to to make 3 different sizes cuz theres one 50% larger than this one ;).
Since I was going to start a thread on these guys I'll jut use this one sorry, not trying to be rude.

My freshly molted 4i all the other waiting to comply ;)

^^^
http://www.vulomedia.com/viewer.php?id=909094i.jpg

^^^
http://www.vulomedia.com/images/179644ip.jpg

Last edited:

Nungunugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't handle it and don't put your hand inside the enclosure and everything will be fine. ;)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Leonidas,

Given the fact that you are 13, your body is not yet fully grown and I think you are still in the riskzone.
If you would want to make a venomscale from 1-5, B.jacksoni is around 3. The effects of a sting could result in more serious symptoms, but I believe the venom is not strong enough to cause serious systemic effects.

If you keep it in an enclosure where it cannot climb the walls or escape and you always use forceps, you can keep this scorpion.
Like others said, don't handle it en always know where the scorpion is hidfing when you remove dead crickets and such, and use the forceps ;)

Cheers, Michiel

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. jacksoni are awesome, very aggressive when it comes to prey, always using their stingers, sometimes multiple times. Tend to play dead when bothered by humans, or run.

Here is a 3i eating

Here is my 4i

Bunch of 2i, was born 2 weeks before this picture.

Adult female

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
is it deadly venomous.I,M 13 years old,i have no problem when being stung by wasps,so can i keep this species or ill die if get tung?
I have been stung by an adult B jacksoni and only experienced intense but brief pain and very localized swelling.

The sting might have raised a blister at the site of the sting that remained there a week and experienced a pleasant tingle for the remainder of the day.

HOWEVER, I am an adult standing 6' and over 200lbs.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Leonidas,

I am in my twenties and still don't trust what my body would do if I were stung. Although I AM allergic to bees, but even if I wasn't, I still wouldn't suggest keeping any buthids when for someone who is not an adult.

1) Although bees can be a decent sign on how scorpion venom will affect you, your family has had hundreds of years of bee stings, therefore your body is somewhat use to the intrusion. However, the first time you are stung by a scorpion will be the first time your body has had to deal with that type of intrusion, and therefore the possibility of something bad happening is very real... especially considering your ago and a scorpion that does have a decently potent venom.

2) If someone sold you a buthid and god forbid something did happen, it's on their hands.... where as when you are an adult, the responsibility and decision is all yours. So I wouldn't want to put someone on the spot about it because an accident could ruin yours, as well as their life.

If you'd like there are tons of scorpions that are way cooler than emperors, that do not pose that great of a threat. We could pile this thread with suggested species if you'd like.

Also, I have had jacksoni in the past and I have adults now... they are boring as boring goes.