Juvenile G. Rosea burrowing?

Shell_Baby

Arachnopeon
Hi there! Just a quick question since I couldn't find it in the search...

I have a G.rosea that is about 1.75" and just 2 days ago, she dug a burrow out on the bottom of the KK. I do have a flower pot for a hide and coco bark for substrate. I guess my concern is it collapsing....is there something I should do about it? This is a newbie question, I know. She is my first T (I now have 3 total) - do they normally dig before a molt or just for fun?? :?

Thanks a bunch for any response! :)

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is perfectly normal. I have a G pulchra that burrows. I believe as they get bigger they stop and make use of hide. How deep is your substrate?

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not unknown for roseas to burrow, especiallly the juvies.

What are you using for strate? Peat is usually good for burrowers. They web it enough to hold the structure of the burrow from what I understand. I am sure if I heard wrong, someone else will be good enough to correct the information. ;)

The only thing I would advise, is that if there are any heavy objects in the tank, they be replaced with plastic ones. Had a friend lose a rosea when she tunneled under the water dish and it came down on her. :( It was one of those resin/ rock looking types. She was adult too, so they don't all stop as they get bigger.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What are you using for strate? Peat is usually good for burrowers. They web it enough to hold the structure of the burrow from what I understand. I am sure if I heard wrong, someone else will be good enough to correct the information. ;)
I have found it to be true with my T's. I have put very lightly packed peat into a T's setup and they burrowed fine with it. I was not expecting the T in ques to Burrow. For my Burrowing T's I compact the peat alot as they go deep. When rehousing, you can see just how hard that peat is.

She was adult too, so they don't all stop as they get bigger.
Ah, but if you don't provide them with alot of subs, you stop burrowing. ;P
When I setup my adults I put no more than 2in of subs.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to AB! :)

And even some arboreals tend to burrow as slings :wall:

Shell_Baby

Arachnopeon
It's not unknown for roseas to burrow, especiallly the juvies.

The only thing I would advise, is that if there are any heavy objects in the tank, they be replaced with plastic ones. Had a friend lose a rosea when she tunneled under the water dish and it came down on her. :( It was one of those resin/ rock looking types. She was adult too, so they don't all stop as they get bigger.
Thanks for the reply! I am using coconut bark (Eco Earth) and it is about 2+ inches deep. Is that ok? I am also using a plastic bottle cap for a water dish and the clay flower pot is on the bottom of the tank so she can't burrow under that!

We just looked in there and she has excavated the entire bottom of the tank! :eek: Silly T! :D

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply! I am using coconut bark (Eco Earth) and it is about 2+ inches deep. Is that ok? I am also using a plastic bottle cap for a water dish and the clay flower pot is on the bottom of the tank so she can't burrow under that!

We just looked in there and she has excavated the entire bottom of the tank! :eek: Silly T! :D
sounds similar to my set up. I haven't experienced any problems, other than the T using the bottle cap as part of its tunnel. I haven't had any collapsed tunnels with the coco fiber.

Danahan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two slings on the way, a B. smithi, and an A. seemanni (should be coming Thursday). I already setup the KKs with 2 inches of Eco Earth. I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one to do this (means there's a slimmer chance that I'm doing something wrong)!