assassin carry disease

tyrant963

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
some one told me assassin bugs like white spots and wheels, carry diseases like lime disease. Is that true, do they carry other diseases too?

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no... but something called a blood sucking conose(spelling?) carries the sleeping sickness shared with teetsy flies.

but white spots and wheels will cause minor skin necrosis and it HURTS!!!, ive herd the symptomes are next to centipedes bites:(

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive been bitten by a cone nose and two types of assassin.:(

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
The assassins that feed on blood are: Kissing Bugs (Reduvius personatus) and Conenose bugs (Dipetalogaster, Triatoma, ect.). Only some of these can spread disease and that is the "Chagas' disease".
Other assassins like the three african species (Platymeris) and wheel bugs, ect. do have venom and will give a nasty bite.

For more info check out: Assassins, Water Scorpions & Other Ture Bugs Care and Culture by Orin McMonigle (www.ElytraAndAntenna.com)
and www.WhatsThatBug.com

Jasonic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Resurrecting an old thread here for clarification.

I was researching the pet Platymeris species, and also Psytalla horrida specifically. Definitively, can/do the African species carry Chagas, or any other disease transmittable to humans?

I realise they have a nasty bite, but wanted to be sure these disease issues are restricted to their blood sucking american couterparts.

Many thanks!

Jason

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Resurrecting an old thread here for clarification.

I was researching the pet Platymeris species, and also Psytalla horrida specifically. Definitively, can/do the African species carry Chagas, or any other disease transmittable to humans?

I realise they have a nasty bite, but wanted to be sure these disease issues are restricted to their blood sucking american couterparts.

Many thanks!

Jason
Chagas come from when the kissing bug responsible defecates on the wound it caused after feeding on a human. I do not believe the African species transmit Chagas, and even still it would have to defecate on your open wound to transmit it.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The only reduviids that can spread Chagas are in the subfamily Triatominae, and at this point only those in South and Central America are known to consistently vector it. This is the only subfamily known to feed on blood.

Reduvius personatus has not been documented as a vector for Chagas and is in a different subfamily, Reduviinae. Platymeris and Psytalla are both in Reduviinae as well.

Here's a map of Chagas cases - https://unitingtocombatntds.org/reports/5th-report/chagas-disease-progress/
And one showing where it's endemic to, but where it has popped up - https://www.dndi.org/diseases-projects/chagas/

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Gray area. My WHO heads up on tropical diseases lists them as 'has the potential to vector...' which generally means no specific study has been performed. We also have a number of tropical diseases presently jumping known boundaries including Trypanosomiasis and Leishmaniasis. The specifics on Platymeris place it's saliva as a potential toxin for humans and it has transmitted various forms of staph and strep.

Jasonic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Fantastic intel all around!

Many thanks for your input guys :)

J

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I would think that standard cleanliness precautions would prevent transmission, regardless of the species. I wouldn’t suggest handling them in any case.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Even if Platymeris and Psytalla could become infected with chagas, and even if they were somehow exposed to it (which requires ingesting the blood of an infected mammal, a behavior they are not known to engage in), I don’t believe it can be passed down through generations of bugs through their eggs. Only about half of wild triatomines are infected and there are laboratory- reared colonies that are free of the parasite. The insectivorous assassin bugs in the hobby have been bred for many generations eating only arthropod prey.