Hey, I am geting my first T

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have been greatly advised not to get an old world so im going with a new world lol. I belive im going to get a mexican redknee, because i like the fact that i can see the T most of the time. Its beautiful looking aswell. I am just wonder dose anyone else have this T and if so. How long did it take to grow. What do u feed it(like can u feed it pinky mice when its older) How mutch do u feed it and how often. So yea, if someone has this T can help me, that would be great

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heh, someone just made a similiar thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=110842

Anyway, B. smithi definitely isn't the only option if you want a display tarantula. Like I said in the other thread, you can get pretty much any of the new world tarantulas. Yes, some of them are aggressive, but if you don't count Phormictopus etc, they are generally NOTHING like OW Ts. They also aren't very venomous, so it really doesn't matter, if the spider shows some defensiveness.

smrich

Arachnopeon
My first T was a Mexican Red Knee. I've had her for about three years and she's grown from about 1/2 inch to about a four inch legspan now. She is a very nice looking T but she flicks hair whenever I open her enclosure. I feed her a few crickets a week. Hope this was helpful and good luck with your 1st T.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They grow pretty slow, but they aren't all notorious hair flickers. My friend has an adult female that never uses her hide, and never flicks. They are mostly pretty docile. And the individual personalities will always differ. Good luck on your decision!

Edit: Also they are one of the longer lived Ts.

kaptinhormone

Arachnopeon
indeed

my b. smithi is about 6" and female, and she's quite pleasant. she's always out in the open, it's actually much rarer to see her in her hide than not. also she rarely kicks hairs. as other beginner T's also look into g. rosea (rose hairs, my first T and i still love her!), a. avicularia, and g. aureostriata (chaco golden knee, they're very docile, and pretty!).

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yea idk what T im gonan get exactly still gota contact sellers and stuff. I prefer something with a bigger apatite, cuz its fun 2 watch em eat stuff lol. And the more colorfull the beter :)

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Buy 2-3 P. regalis slings. Then, sell the ones that turn out male and buy some Pamphobeteus sp. slings. Once again, sell the ones that turn out male, and by then, you'll probably have a fairly good idea of what species you'd be interested in obtaining next.