Your BIGGEST challenge of owning a pet scorpion?

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This question itself is pretty self explanatory and can be answered by anyone who owns a scorpion.

What is YOUR biggest challenge of owning a pet scorpion?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Depends on which species. For some its challenging to breed, others its challenging just to keep alive

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any species actually.

For EXAMPLE, you could do like:

Imperator: My biggest challenge is, etc.

Deathstalker: My biggest challenge is, etc.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is really no challenge unless you try to breed a difficult species. As long as proper husbandry techniques are used the challenge is small

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The biggest problem i had with scorpions in the begining was grapping them by the metasoma and not be afried of them.. wich i normaly only do when i have to move them or something.. but i have overcome that and now i really dont care.. :D

Androctonus3000

Arachnopeon
Ya know, the biggest challenge I've had is getting new-born Hadrurus spp. to survive past 2nd or 3rd instar. Through research, oddly enough, they need a moisture gradient to help with the next molt. I've seen similar characteristics in Hadogenes, and Vaejovid spp. as well. It's a challenge none the less to "care for" scorpions period. Meeting just the right temp needs, humidity, noise, light, etc is just the tip of the ice-burg! Enjoy life, and oh yeah...SCORPIONS RULE!!!

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is really no challenge unless you try to breed a difficult species. As long as proper husbandry techniques are used the challenge is small
LOL.

So you're saying NOTHING at all is challenging keeping a pet scorpion? Taking care of it is as easy as picking up a feather? Sure it may be easy for you, but what about cleaning the tank? Feeding it? Breeding it and what not? What's the HARDEST thing about keeping a pet scorpion?

There may not be nothing challenging about it because everything about taking care of the scorpion is easy and small, but out of ALL those small little things, WHICH is slightly more difficult? I'm not sure if you even understand what the question is...

The biggest problem i had with scorpions in the begining was grapping them by the metasoma and not be afried of them.. wich i normaly only do when i have to move them or something.. but i have overcome that and now i really dont care.. :D
Ah, interesting.

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. Cavimanus: He hates me, end of story. Other people he likes, if I go near the glass he flares out in his defensive stance and rushes at me. *Sigh*

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL.

So you're saying NOTHING at all is challenging keeping a pet scorpion? Taking care of it is as easy as picking up a feather? Sure it may be easy for you, but what about cleaning the tank? Feeding it? Breeding it and what not? What's the HARDEST thing about keeping a pet scorpion?

There may not be nothing challenging about it because everything about taking care of the scorpion is easy and small, but out of ALL those small little things, WHICH is slightly more difficult? I'm not sure if you even understand what the question is...

Ah, interesting.

I whouldnt call it a pet, because a pet is like a hamster you can pet and stuff like that.. cant pet a scorpion and if you do it wont like it.. hobby animale whould be better.. and for most species scorpions they aint that hard to keep, Heterometrus and Pandinus is pretty hardcore and dont really care that much if they soil dries out or its abit too wet.. even when they are 2 instar or so.. what goes for food they will eat anything.. when you run over some of the more interesting species yeah they might be abit harder to keep.. but most scorps aint that hard.. but if you need to breed on them then we can talk about needing the right temp and stuff like that.. there is abit of a tricky part..

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a challenge right now with two P. imperators who are almost fatally starved and dehydrated. The guy keeping them had them on sand with no water bowl and hadn't fed them in forever. They're flat as pancakes and were very weak when I brought them home. They've both been in a confined, warm, super-humid space for a few days and are finally able to move about, but too weak to really wrangle live prey. But if I put bug mush to their mouth parts they'll eat it, and they're getting stronger by the day. This has def. been my biggest scorpion challenge yet!

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I whouldnt call it a pet, because a pet is like a hamster you can pet and stuff like that.. cant pet a scorpion and if you do it wont like it.. hobby animale whould be better.. and for most species scorpions they aint that hard to keep, Heterometrus and Pandinus is pretty hardcore and dont really care that much if they soil dries out or its abit too wet.. even when they are 2 instar or so.. what goes for food they will eat anything.. when you run over some of the more interesting species yeah they might be abit harder to keep.. but most scorps aint that hard.. but if you need to breed on them then we can talk about needing the right temp and stuff like that.. there is abit of a tricky part..
Well if you're keeping a scorpion and taking care of it, and unless you're a scientist doing experiments on it and stuff, then it's considered an "exotic pet"

If it's not a "pet" then what is it?

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pet

any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.

i whouldnt call a scorpion either domesticated or tamed

and its me expressing myself saying I whouldnt call it a pet.. and that I belive its wrong because I dont think its a pet more a hobby animale, if you call it a pet it sends out a wrong image of the scorp, like a L.Q thats not a pet thats a pet that chould kill you, Yeah a dog can kill you too, or a horse but does animales can be tamed and is easier to control, yeah there is pictures of ppl holding L.Q's or having them in they mouth or what not, that just makes ppl in my eyes stupid. The most poisoned species i keep i dont touch or grab, i use a plastic container to move them if needed.. dont want to take a risk of getting nailed by one of them..

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pet

any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.

i whouldnt call a scorpion either domesticated or tamed

and its me expressing myself saying I whouldnt call it a pet.. and that I belive its wrong because I dont think its a pet more a hobby animale, if you call it a pet it sends out a wrong image of the scorp, like a L.Q thats not a pet thats a pet that chould kill you, Yeah a dog can kill you too, or a horse but does animales can be tamed and is easier to control, yeah there is pictures of ppl holding L.Q's or having them in they mouth or what not, that just makes ppl in my eyes stupid. The most poisoned species i keep i dont touch or grab, i use a plastic container to move them if needed.. dont want to take a risk of getting nailed by one of them..
Guess you may have a small point, but people do care for scorpions affectionately. I guess they're considered more "exotic" pets.

But if you go to google and search for "pet scorpions" you'll get loads of links of sites of people classing scorpions as pets.

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah i know, i get it all the time allso.. ppl that dont know me and find out i keep scorpions they call them pets allso, but i dont really care the same way for my scorpion the way i care for my dog.. not saying i dont like my scorp.. i love them.. but i whould be more sade that my dog died because its possible to get more "feelings" for a dog because its possible for it to in some strange way to love you back.. might sound abit weird here but i hope you get the point, thats why i like to call my scorps for hobby animales.. because well when you keep around 70 scorps its not really a pet anymore its more of a hobby and well i have allready typed why they shouldnt be called pets :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cleaning the tank? Well, with desert species I seldom ever do that. With tropical species I keep Isopods in their tanks which pretty much keeps uneaten remains cleaned out which keeps mites in check.

Ah, interesting.
LOL!
Well I guess if I would have to say what the most challenging is, it would be successfully breeding many of the desert Buthids such as Androctonus and Hottentotta but I am working on that one even as I write this and hopefully I will get this figured out ;)

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The biggest challenge I encountered was having specimens of different species give birth at the same time. I ran out of feeders, containers, and shelving space faster than you can say Congratulations!{D

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
My biggest challenge was keeping out of my Pimp mothers face just after she had given birth to a bunch of Pimplings (or Pimpicles).

Last edited: