Vaejovis coahuilae scorplings

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My V. coahuilae must have dropped her broad about a week ago; because I noticed about two dozen scorplings running around the enclosure. I think Vaejovis are partially communal, but I'm not so sure about these guys. Man, they are small! I currently keep mom and her little guys in the same 1 gallon plastic tank but I am seriously rethinking this environment. I was thinking of using deli cups for the scorplings. Should I sepperate them now of after their second molt? Or should I sepperate them at all? Any info will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

W. Smith

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I keep all of my Vaejovis separated individually, but that is not to say they can't be kept in small numbers if the enclosure provided is of adequate size. If the young scorps are already running around the enclosure they are in, they can be separated and are, more than likely, past their first molt. Also, as I have noticed with Leiurus scorplings, they are not so aggressive towards each other upon coming off their mother's back. It takes them a couple weeks to develop the aggression towards each other. Luckily I was able to separate te remaining scorps (all the others had already been removed and placed individually) before I had any cannibalism. I'd just keep a close eye on them and see how things go, if you are reluctant to remove them.

adios,
edw. ;)

Last edited:

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll try to separate them in the coming nights. I have a gravid L. quinquestriatus and I've noticed that you said that you increased your temp to help induce birth. Did you increase your "nighttime" temp or just your "daytime" temp?

Thanks,

W. Smith

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I have 7 V.coahuilae in a 5 gallon glass tank with good results so far (its only been two weeks)...they seem to be a little aggressive toward each other when they are out prowling around after lights out but they are also sharing the same burrows...go figure.

Note: I started out with 8 in this enclosure...7 were about the same sizeand one was a tiny little 1/2" bugger who got munched. These were just wild caught and I hadn't fed them yet so I suppose it was my fault. Since then it has been ok.

I have heard of people raising colonies of V.spinigerus and that it is fairly easy...have not tried it myself as I only have one of these guys.

John
];')

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little apprehensive about keep them together since they are in such a small container. I tried capturing them last night but I wasn't too successful. I didn't catch a one. These things are lightening fast. I began trying to maneuver them into a deep spoon and deposit them into a deli cup...totally unsuccessful. I eventually moved on to trying to herd them directly into the deli cup...still no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks,

W. Smith

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Are you finding them on the ground? If so, just herd them into the cup with the lid or slam the cup down around them, then move the whole thing onto the lid. I found the smallest size of glad disposable cups worked rather well for them in Carlsbad. I suppose you could tail them too if you had a small pair of tweezers with airline tubing on them. Also, if there is an obvious place for them to escape you can block it with an object and then move to capture. Also, if you're using blacklight you probably have an edge in that they don't seem to run from it the way the do with white light (after the little "freeze and they can't see me" attempt, that is).

Cheers,
Dave

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. I am keeping the mother in a one gallon plastic enclosure. Now the enclosure is over run with these tiny little guys...a cm would be a fair estimate of their size. I would be afraid to tail these guys since they are so small; I'm afraid I would crush them. The problem is the size of the enclosure. I have problems putting the tools and my hands in the tank at the same time.

Thanks,

W. Smith

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were catching them in the wild. My advise would be to use a teaspoon and a small stick of some sort and sort of gently coax them onto the spoon. Or, you could pick them up with your hands -- might want to remove mama before trying that one.

Cheers,
Dave

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, it would be a lot easier catching them in the wild. Thanks, I'm gonna try the teaspoon thing again tonight. Maybe I catch at least one...and to think there is a couple dozen in the tank. Oh, I noticed several that have their molts stuck on their telson. Should I try to remove the molt? Well, that's if I can catch them.

Thanks,

W. Smith