B. dubia as "feeder beetles"...

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
My Mom is giving me fits over wanting to get a colony of roaches started, so I came up with the ingenious idea of getting 'feeder beetles' instead. Do you guys think dubia could pass for beetles? There is not much chance of them infesting the house once escaped, right?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
So is it your Mom or your Dad that hates the idea of roaches again?

:rolleyes:

It sounds like you are fighting an unnecessary battle, if they are both so opposed. Have either of them ever seen a cockroach in their lives? If so, they won't pass for "beetles". Being dishonest with your parents just to get what you want is not going to help your cause here.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So is it your Mom or your Dad that hates the idea of roaches again?

:rolleyes:

It sounds like you are fighting an unnecessary battle, if they are both so opposed. Have either of them ever seen a cockroach in their lives? If so, they won't pass for "beetles". Being dishonest with your parents just to get what you want is not going to help your cause here.
Basically what he said. If mom and dad say no and you live in their house, you may just have to stick with crickets. Deception and chicanery are not going to help you.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just introduce a few gravid American roaches to the household. Then you'll have a steady supply to feed your animals and pass it off as "pest control".

If you don't do it, I'll throw on my supervillain suit and do it myself. None shall thwart the Desterminator.

....Really, I feel nothing but spite and resentment towards animal haters/phobics of any sort. I don't accept upbringing, culture, childhood trauma or anything else as an excuse. It's idiocy, plain and simple. I'm proud to be intolerant of it. If a person won't listen to logic the very first time you explain things logically, I can never respect them ever again.

Last edited:

Farom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just buy the dam things. Keep em hidden for a while. That way, when your parents find out, you can say "I've had them for months. No problems. Why get rid of them?"
Depends on your parents personality though. Heh.

Well...my problems would end at the first sentence. My parents don't pay much attention to my bug hobby. :p

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say go for it. my parents did have a problem with me having them at first, but they got over it.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
....Really, I feel nothing but spite and resentment towards animal haters/phobics of any sort. I don't accept upbringing, culture, childhood trauma or anything else as an excuse. It's idiocy, plain and simple. I'm proud to be intolerant of it. If a person won't listen to logic the very first time you explain things logically, I can never respect them ever again.
Wow, you must be a riot at parties.

Seriously though... their house, their rules. If logic and reason don't persuade... well, it's unfortunate, but it's certainly doesn't mean has some automatic moral high ground to disobey them.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have boiled it down to my Mom seeming to think that having roaches alive in her house is a mark of shame and that they are terrible creatures that should only be killed. My Dad was originally opposed, but after throughly explaining them to him in a page long letter, he decided that he doesn't care and now openly jokes about my Mom acting so stubborn. She doesnt listen at all when I even mention the subject. Maybe when we start getting a cricket infestation from all the cricks that have been getting away from me, she will come around. Or maybe I will just get them, and not tell them.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Daaaannnnnggg Scythemantis, ...anyway, it could well have been your mom the whole time pushing your dad. More mothers don't like to look like the bad guy than fathers do, always acceptations though. You may have to wait until you're on your own, that won't be long. When you get your own place, keep what you want, put your foot down, don't ignore them but ignore the subject if they bring it up. I would just let them know that your not talking about it when you get your own place. By then, it shouldn't matter if they agree with you or not. Good luck. As much as my mother was/is a neat freak and bugaphobe calling the exterminator it seemed every week, when I look back, I was lucky to keep the animals I did in their house. At one point or another, I had snakes, scorpions, lizards, turtles, amphibians, ...but I don't think my parents would've let me keep roaches either, serious roachaphobia. That was back in the late 70's and early 80's when I had never heard of anybody keeping roaches.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As an official roach keeper, I would normally encourage anyone to keep roaches because its a great hobby. Having said that, though, do what your parents say and don't get any! When you are in your own place, do everything your way. When you are in someone else's place, do things thier way. It's how it works. You only get the respect you give.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Mom is giving me fits over wanting to get a colony of roaches started, so I came up with the ingenious idea of getting 'feeder beetles' instead. Do you guys think dubia could pass for beetles? There is not much chance of them infesting the house once escaped, right?
I've been calling my colony of roaches "beetles" cause it makes my Mom feel better. ~ Rex

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maybe you can also point out how super stinky crickets are, that would persuede me. Man those thing stink.

I agree that you should do as your parents say, although I am not against whinning about the roaches because that is how I got my parents to let me have mine. Plus I had already bought them.

Either way I would try to keep mentioning it instead of lying or sneeking.

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the word "roaches" brings a general feeling of disgust to most non-hobbyists when they hear it. Same goes for the whole word "cockroach". Maybe you should try mixing up the terminology of it and drop the surname... stating that you're going to start a colony of "cocks". She might invision a colony of fuzzy roosters or something. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I'd say hold off and follow the rules for now. Believe me, it will all be worth it when you get your own place. It's a great feeling to have no limitations and you basically go hog-wild. At least, that's what I did.

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the word "roaches" brings a general feeling of disgust to most non-hobbyists when they hear it. Same goes for the whole word "cockroach". Maybe you should try mixing up the terminology of it and drop the surname... stating that you're going to start a colony of "cocks". She might invision a colony of fuzzy roosters or something. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I'd say hold off and follow the rules for now. Believe me, it will all be worth it when you get your own place. It's a great feeling to have no limitations and you basically go hog-wild. At least, that's what I did.
LOL or something.

Kind of off topic, has anyone had trouble with their invert pets and landlords? (Besides their moms and pops:))