Is it a bad molt?

Sev

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody.
I got my B. Smithi sling about a month ago, and it just had its first molt. It is about 1/3" right now, and about 3-4 days before the molt the usual black spot appeared on its abdomen, so I thought everything was fine. Now it molted, but that black spot is still there, the old skin is too small for me to see everything in detal, but it looks like only the bottom part of the abdomen came off. I kept the humidity around 70-80% and sprayed like every day after the appearing of that black spot.
Anyway the spiderling itself acts normal, runs around like before, but again, still has that black spot.
Is it a bad molt?

CFNSmok.PL

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Picture would help a lot. But if he is moving and acts normally he should be OK.

Smok.

Sev

Arachnopeon
Well, here he is before the black spot appeared:

And here he is after the molt. I dont have any pics of him with the spot before the molt...

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All that is, is the developing urticating hairs. Those hairs will mature right along with the spider, and the effects will mature right along with the spider too. {D

That patch of hairs can be kicked off the tarantula whenever he feels scared, he will use the back two legs to kick them into the air as a defense. Sometimes a T will kick a lot. Sometimes not at all. But regardless they grow back with each molt.

Pestilence

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes as to what Ryan has said its only the development of the urticating hairs. being a grown up now they tend to reach a stage more like the puberty stage of a human developing new hair spots here and there. its only normal. the spider looks A ok to me. nice specimen. {D

Sev

Arachnopeon
Well yeah, I just said that as a figure of speech, as you can see in the pictures most of the substrate is dry.
And yeah, I thought that the black spot was supposed to go away with the molt, but if it is just hair, thats good.. And yeah, it almost didn't grow with the molt. I heard that Smithis grow very slow, but maaaan...

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The black spot will grow bigger with each molt until it eventually covers the entire abdomen.