More Info on the whole Aggresive/Defensive Theory

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, for my latest photo assignment I need to take pictures that express a message or an emotion. The first thought that came to mind would be a T's treat display...nothing says "do not touch" like an angry Haplo. So on saturday night I got my H.vonwirthi out of its burrow, and placed it in a sweaterbox for a photo shoot. What surprised me was that I couldn't get a threat display, no matter how loud I was our how close I got, all she wanted to do was run away. After a few minutes I put her back and got my H.gigas. This was the one who greeted me with a backfilip when first unpacking her, and she had no problem stricking my forceps from inside her burrow. But she to would't do a thing when she was out and in a better positon for photos. My only conclusion is that such sp. are only defending their burrows and territory. If caught in new, unusual surroundings, there is nothing for them to fight for so the best choice for them is to escape as fast as they can. ~ Rex

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's right, Ts are territorial animals, so they'll fight their fangs off the protect their territory, but when caught in a box there's no place to hide ultimately if the fight goes wrong, so ya escape is the best bet for them;)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My king baboon throws up a threat display where ever she is, it doesnt matter but my H.Hainium only does it in her cage.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My king baboon throws up a threat display where ever she is,
Lucky! I don't know about anyone else, but I love aggresive T's and can't wait to get more ~ Rex

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Maybe, you will have better luck with a P.murinus.

This wasn't the shot i was going for, i really had no choice.

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My X. imanus loves to threat display. But so far his display has been the butt in the air type. It's pretty intimidating.

Kind of a goofy pic here:

Attachments

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe, you will have better luck with a P.murinus.
My OBT is only 1.5" right now, and isn't very defensive at the moment. But its still one of my favorite Ts and I can't wait go get more to match it! ~ Rex

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
But so far his display has been the butt in the air type. It's pretty intimidating.

Kind of a goofy pic here:
My G.aureostrita sling use to do that (while s/he walks) anytime someone would peer into his/her home. I actually find that cute... and a bit funny.

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My G.aureostrita sling use to do that (while s/he walks) anytime someone would peer into his/her home. I actually find that cute... and a bit funny.
I bet. Yeah I can imagine the little guys looking cute, but this monster would actually chase me. Most of my T's when I have gotten them out to photograph have been manageable. This guy would litterally run after me, sending me up off my kneeling position and jumping back several feet. I could not get a single non-threat posed shot out of him. Maybe he just didn't want to be posed with the flowers...

--Chris

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My king baboon throws up a threat display where ever she is, it doesnt matter but my H.Hainium only does it in her cage.
Same here. Even my H. minax usually calms down when I have her out of the enclosure.

I just love C. crawshayi!

Edit: Though, C. crawshayi doesn't seem as eager to bite.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Same here. Even my H. minax usually calms down when I have her out of the enclosure.

I just love C. crawshayi!

Edit: Though, C. crawshayi doesn't seem as eager to bite.
Mine is flat crazy...she runs out of her den biting at anything, plants, dirt, driftwood...she has split 3 pairs of tongs. She will even charge at you as you walk past her cage. She comes out of her burrow and is in a constant threat display for no reason (for hrs.) fangs out all (4) legs up ready to bite anything that gets near her...she also charges at you on her back legs. I am actualy looking to trade her for a T.blondi or a samon pink birdeater or a adult female hatian brown if any one is interested.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is flat crazy...she runs out of her den biting at anything, plants, dirt, driftwood...she has split 3 pairs of tongs. She will even charge at you as you walk past her cage. She comes out of her burrow and is in a constant threat display for no reason (for hrs.) fangs out all (4) legs up ready to bite anything that gets near her...she also charges at you on her back legs. I am actualy looking to trade her for a T.blondi or a samon pink birdeater or a adult female hatian brown if any one is interested.
Although it's usually the opposite, I think mine was more defensive when I got here. Now that she's settled in, it's not as easy to provoke her. :? How much substrate do you have in her enclosure?

Edit: Though mine still hisses sometimes, when I walk past the enclosure. ;)

BTW, you should be careful with the tongs, or you'll soon have a fangless baboon.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Although it's usually the opposite, I think mine was more defensive when I got here. Now that she's settled in, it's not as easy to provoke her. :? How much substrate do you have in her enclosure?

BTW, you should be careful with the tongs, or you'll soon have a fangless baboon.
around 12", I dont use tongs anymore I use a 5" by 5" peice of acrlic for a shield...you can see the enclosure in this thread under (hatian brown enclosure update)...she shares the 125 gal setup with my hatian brown wich is divided.