Newb

Utopia93

Arachnopeon
Hi, Im Chris, and normally Im not an arachnid lover (mostly every other bug) but when i went to Pets of New Hyde Park, my brother bought my my first emperor scorpion. I named him Caesar. Right now he is in a sphagnum moss cage, hes eating 2 medium crickets a week, and he is adjusting well from woodchips to moss. When we first put him in he was a tad nervous, but became very docile, and calm once i hand fedem some crickets. right now he is chilling in his water jelly dish (strange). Any tips for a new breeder?

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Chris! Welcome to the hobby!

Does your scorp have a hide? He shoudl have one if not...oh and i wouldn't put water gel for my scorp, a water dish is just fine if it's smaller than your Emp! How big he is?

Fred

crazy4tat2s

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome

Hi,
Welcome to the board, you will meet a lot of nice people here.
One thing through we like pictures. So if possible postem.
Again welcome

Utopia93

Arachnopeon
my scorp made a little sphagnum hut that he lies in at night. Ill see if I can get a picture

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello and welcome

As mentioned replace the gel with real water, if you are worried of him drowning he won't unless it's way too deep (1" - 1.5" is okay) if it's the crix you worry about drop a rock or two in there to allow them to climb up.

Try to put some coco fiber or something similar in the tank to allow burrowing as the moss is good but to burrow they need more substance.

GL

Utopia93

Arachnopeon
Is it okay for the scorp to bask in jelly all day?

Last edited:

Utopia93

Arachnopeon
I chose the largest scorp they had, his tail is destingerized(I made up that word, lol) and he is average adult size. Is there any way to find his age?

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They removed it's stinger? :( thats so sad. :( And if its telson (stinger bulb) is a brown color, then its an adult, and no way of telling the age.

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its hard to figgur out the age of a scorp, they dont really look old and stuff like that, you said it had its stinger removed? mate, never never never never never buy a scorp like that, first of all it might die, secound of all its cruelty to animales to do stuff like that, third if removing its stinger you might make it alot harder for it to kill its food so it can feed, i whould smack a pet store owner around if i ever found a scorp like that. Lucky for you its a emp so it wont have any real need for its stinger, they just use they claws instead..

here is abit of biologi, well the anus of the scorp is right behide the telson, wich is the stinger of the scorp, so by removing this you might damege the anus of the scorp, now rendering it unable to deficate wich will lead to death
this is something that can happen when stuff like that is done to a scorp, not saying your scorpion is doomed mate, but dont by a scorp like that

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well then you dont have to worry about that, but still its still cruelty to animales..

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just watch its claws, but Emps are usually freakingly docile...I actually cant believe they removed its stinger:wall: :mad:

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There should have been no fear at all. The pinchers are what you should be looking out for. When I got my guys and all my others I never intended on getting them for playing with but the occasional handling. I don't even bother anymore with handling my scorps. That fun is still there a bit but now I like to study them and collect and get future breeding projects going.

Last edited:

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Depends on if you're afraid of being pinched. emps don't use their sting fast but can give a good pinch if they feel threatened. ;)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never been pinched by an emp -- at most I've recieved a warning pinch from a Het. because I tried to get it when it felt cornered.

As Thaedion mentioned earlier, water isn't anything to worry about with these guys. Some people have observed emps submerging in the water dish and even "scrubbing" with the tail.

By the way, as this is your first scorpion (and an emperor), check out the Q&A link in Cyris' signature. There's some helpful beginner info in there (kinda wish I had it when I started).