Video: (Holding T. blondi & H.lividum)

realspiders

Arachnopeon

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No the fangs were not removed. You can hold species like that, I don't because I don't see a reason to, but I know plenty of people that do.

IF there So aggressive then how is it possible to hold these species with out getting bit
Most species will calm down a lot when they are out of their tanks or burrows. But they are still not calm enough for me to want to hold them {D

Last edited:

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
holding

Yah I have one customer that comes and buys things like pokies or bird eaters from me then sends pics of him holding them. I personally think they are kinda crazy too. I hold a lot of my species but some of them you would just be crazy to handle in my opinion.

I was at a show once and a customer came up and tried to stick his hand in my asian forest scorpion container(5 in there). I quickly stopped him of course. He says its ok I hold scorps all the time. I let him know if he wanted to buy one and do that, hey thats his call but I would not have him do it at my booth nor would I recommend it.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a giant hairy scorpion that you can pick up and handle without a problem. this species is known to be aggressive and sting readily, but mine was different for some reasons.
there is always an oddball out of the bunch

baldpoodle

Arachnopeon
Wow do you guys actually dare to hold these spiders ....personally I would not trust one but thumbs up to those who do.

Keep it up guys its just great :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

FilliamHMuffman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Somewhere out there is some girl holding an OBT, taunting into a threat pose as it sits on her SHOULDER mere inches from her face. That's some pretty scary stuff.

I get so paranoid, I barely open the lid to my 1" OBT without a backup and a pair of 12" tweezers.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
those T's are probably stressed so they don't bite.. once they settle in their new environment they will be quite defensive and I bet those guys won't be able to pick up their T's like they did on the video.. :D

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those T's are probably stressed so they don't bite.. once they settle in their new environment they will be quite defensive and I bet those guys won't be able to pick up their T's like they did on the video.. :D
Interesting comment though the opposite has been my experience. When I first get a T they are overly defensive. When they settle in to their tanks at home, after a few days, they are much calmer.

ex: My OBT was as eager as any T to give me a threat display when he first settled into his new digs. (forgive the pun LOL) Now that he has webbed in and covered his tank with dirt sprays, HIS way he much more docile. Last week I uncovered him to check on him. (Hadn't seen him for two weeks and he hasn't eaten). He came out obligingly, sauntered around and hung out for a day and even when I poked around in his tank rearranging his furniture he was fine. I was amazed.

It just goes to show, there is no figuring out a T.

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not particularly afraid of T. Blondi (never held one yet but not terrified of it), however any Haplopelma out of its tank sends me running. I shake holding my G Rosea (I think I'm more likely to bite her) lol. My Crawshayi... When I got him he was just a scared little sling in the corner of his plastic tube. Now he's a big bad 1.25" who goes defensive if I even think of opening the lid... T's are funny like that so I'm learning.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not a big deal handling Pokies etc, because they are generally calm. Even Haplos calm down when you take them out of the enclosure. But atleast my C. crawshayi doesn't and I still know some who handle them.

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I always think it's just some show off behaviour of people who handle these kind of T's.
I never handle any of my T's, simply because there's no reason to do so. If I need to move them to another tank, I will use like a deli cup to catch them.
Handling T's causes stress for them and there is always the danger of dropping them or getten bitten.
If you want a pet to sit on your lap or play with it, get a bunny or something.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even if I could handle my Pokie I don't think i'd want to because I've it seen it fly from the bottom left hand corner to the top right hand corner within seconds. now right now (depending on how you see it, as a sling because of its size or if you see it as a juvenile because of its size) its still kind of small but when it gets to adult size its going to take HALF of those same seconds to reach the my hand in any corner and taste test me lol. However I did see one video on youtube of a man letting one of his pokies (Clearly an adult) walk across his hands but since I'm not him I doubt that's going to happen lol. If i ever get the courage up to let any of my babies crawl on my hands its going to be my N vulpinus first then if I'm really feeling "Jackass" like my Chilobrachys G.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always think it's just some show off behaviour of people who handle these kind of T's.
I never handle any of my T's, simply because there's no reason to do so. If I need to move them to another tank, I will use like a deli cup to catch them.
Handling T's causes stress for them and there is always the danger of dropping them or getten bitten.
If you want a pet to sit on your lap or play with it, get a bunny or something.
It's not a big deal for arboreals to fall. That's why I prefer to handle Avics. Docile and arboreal is a good combination.

I think people who handle defensive species, do it for adrenalin rush or something.

epiphone

Arachnopeon
hi

I dont handle tarantulas but i sure have had some of them walking on my hand....

I ask my self how do i get bit? the answere is you pic it up or get close to it! :) i do not recomend handling ts at all its no good...... I think of the spider first of course its a lot of stress for the spider and its a risk that it get hurt...

And then dont handel them because the venom really can hurt you bad really bad if its a asian or afrikan spider... and then its not so cool to handel them enymore{D

If you want a cool picture of it take the pic in its enclosure insted mush nicer to look at;) sorry for my bad english bye

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
what the hell is wrong with these ppl? LOL
these are really aggressive species, think they had the fangs removed or something?
how are they handling/holding these species with out them Getting bit.

IF there So aggressive then how is it possible to hold these species with out getting bit
There's nothing wrong with us. And its quite simple. All it takes is experience, you can handle any species safely. I've been bitten twice, but neither were during handling.

-Sean

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think the question is how you keep a blondi from biting you, but how do you keep from scratching you skin off after getting the urticulating hairs on you.

Art

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's nothing wrong with us. And its quite simple. All it takes is experience, you can handle any species safely. I've been bitten twice, but neither were during handling.

-Sean
YEAH, right-on Sean. All animals respond to gentleness and respect. I handle my T's because I love the connection to other living things. We are all connected in a world of love. If you think that's crazy just think of how you respond to the difference of being treated with respect and love or aggression and fear.

Animals are closer to understanding and feeling what comes from us than we are.

Shell_Baby

Arachnopeon
Could it be that the lady has had this spider (t.blondi video) since it was a sling, and it is used to being handled? Could they recognize (by smell, perhaps) someone handling them and know it's not a threat???

Just a thought.........:confused: