Biggest three

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to have the biggest three Ts in my collection so are the biggest Ts in the hobby the ones below?

Goliath Birdeater (Theraphosa blondi)
King Baboon (Citharischius crawshayi)
Brazilian Salmon Tarantula (Lasiodora parahybana)

Also I heard that C. Crawshayi is a slow grower, does it grow at the speed of the Grammastola genus? a little faster than that one?

Being the indecisive person that I am. I have for second time changed my mind again about what I want to buy.

What I already have:

Lasiodora parahybana (sling and a juvenile)
P. Cancerides
N. Vulpinus
Chilobrachys sp. guangxiensis
H. Gigas
Haplopelma albostriata
Poecilotheria fasciata
Cyriopagopus sp
Lasiodora difficilis

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
C crawshayi might have more body weight but i believe L klugi and T apophysis both have larger legspans. My understanding is that a remarkably large crawshayi might just barely hit 10". Personally, i'd be looking at other characteristics rather than just size such as coloring, temperament and displayability.Crawshayi is a pet hole so it's like "Hey dude, see that hole? Theres a huge spider in there" rather than "Hey dude, look at this huge spider"

It's like when i want to show somebody my cobalt. First i show them the hole then i show them a picture.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
C crawshayi might have more body weight but i believe L klugi and T apophysis both have larger legspans. My understanding is that a remarkably large crawshayi might just barely hit 10". Personally, i'd be looking at other characteristics rather than just size such as coloring, temperament and displayability.Crawshayi is a pet hole so it's like "Hey dude, see that hole? Theres a huge spider in there" rather than "Hey dude, look at this huge spider"

It's like when i want to show somebody my cobalt. First i show them the hole then i show them a picture.
Ok so who is selling T apophysis? and What does that L stand for?

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotheria rufilata is a contender for largest arborial spider in the world...they get about 9 inches...very impressive imho:)

Harvey

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to have the biggest three Ts in my collection so are the biggest Ts in the hobby the ones below?

Goliath Birdeater (Theraphosa blondi)
King Baboon (Citharischius crawshayi)
Brazilian Salmon Tarantula (Lasiodora parahybana)
The three largest tarantulas in the world are:

* Theraphosa blondi, the goliath birdeater tarantula. (Although I object to calling any tarantula a "birdeater" because few ever eat a bird, least of all this species! I prefer Brazilian Goliath for this one.)

* Theraphosa apophysis, the pinkfoot goliath tarantula.

* Lasiodora parahybana, the Brazilian salmon tarantula.

The females of all these will achieve a 10" leg span in captivity and body weights of well over 1/4 pound. The males may have a slightly longer leg span but lighter bodies.

Wild males of T. blondi and T. apophysis have been found with leg spans slightly larger than 13". I don't remember ever hearing of any of that size in captivity, which is surprising because we had assumed that with better feeding and a lack of parasites they would grow even larger. Obviously we're not doing something right, but what is it?

Close runners up are Lasiodora klugi and some of the Pamphobeteus species, but I don't have specific leg spans or weights for these.

Note that these are all South American species and all belong in the subfamily Theraphosinae. Few, if any, Old World tarantulas can even approach these monsters' leg spans or bulk.

Enjoy your Titan tarantula!