Best isopod?

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Out of the ones available online to order, which are the easiest and most prolific breeders and do the best job cleaning up?

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Trichorhina tomentosa is good

very small, breeds easy and easy to keep as long as moist

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The best ones are the ones you find where you live. They are free

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i live in nyc, not missouri
NY is loaded with them. I would imagine that any vacant lot or park in the city that has an unpaved area with boards and debris to turn over will yield all that you need. Out near Brooklyn Marine Park in the Coney Island area should be a good place.

You could also make a stop in any park a part of the agenda on your next trip upstate or out to Long Island.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree. Just look around. I have about 100 adults of 3-4 different species if you count the albino orangy ones (visual differences) unknow species though and sooo many babies its freaking nuts. I'm trying to breed and offer them up fo sale here soon on AB.

dydek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
NY is loaded with them. I would imagine that any vacant lot or park in the city that has an unpaved area with boards and debris to turn over will yield all that you need. Out near Brooklyn Marine Park in the Coney Island area should be a good place.

You could also make a stop in any park a part of the agenda on your next trip upstate or out to Long Island.

Even in that weather?

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Even in that weather?
We've had a mild winter so far, so maybe....

I can check tomorrow in the woods behind my house to see if they are around right now. Worst case is he may need to wait a couple of months until they come back in late March or April...

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep. That's what i'm going to do as soon as i have a day off is drive to coney island or marine park and dig for isopods. :wall:

The convience of ordering is worth the money spent and time saved to me which is why my question wasn't where do i go collect these things in the middle of january.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lots of people go to parks just to enjoy being outside, and no digging is involved in grabbing some isopods. No need to bang your head against a wall.

My apologies for offering a simple and free solution that you may not have initially though of :rolleyes:

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If i have to drive to coney island it's going to be to go to the aquarium and eat hot dogs.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If i have to drive to coney island it's going to be to go to the aquarium and eat hot dogs.
LOL exactly- Don't make a special trip just for the isopods. Just bring a plastic container along the next time you're heading out that way...