Between a rock and a hard place

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So for a long time, I've known deep-down that I need a brachypelma. I saw a 4" b.boehmeiat a reptile show back in December and it was love at first sight, but the price was much more than I wanted to spend. I just can't seem to get this species out of my head though! I have been looking at pictures and find myself enamored with each picture I drool over. I have been perusing the care sheets, hoping that maybe they'll be too hard to care for and I can dissuade myself from taking the leap (which isn't happening). What's even worse is, I found a 4" female for about 2/3 the price of the one at that reptile show, therefore making my emotional pain even greater.
My husband is wanting to spend some money this weekend for a convention that I'm mildly interested in, but I feel that the money would be much better spent on a fiery-legged vixen that will last me a really long time. Should I talk to my man and beg him, plead, grovel if need be to make this temptress my own, or just give up and look the other way? I don't know what to do! I find myself going to this dealer's website daily, hourly almost, and come soooo close to clicking that shiny little "Buy Now!" button.....the agony of it all is almost too much to bear! Any advice???

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So for a long time, I've known deep-down that I need a brachypelma. I saw a 4" b.boehmeiat a reptile show back in December and it was love at first sight, but the price was much more than I wanted to spend. I just can't seem to get this species out of my head though! I have been looking at pictures and find myself enamored with each picture I drool over. I have been perusing the care sheets, hoping that maybe they'll be too hard to care for and I can dissuade myself from taking the leap (which isn't happening). What's even worse is, I found a 4" female for about 2/3 the price of the one at that reptile show, therefore making my emotional pain even greater.
My husband is wanting to spend some money this weekend for a convention that I'm mildly interested in, but I feel that the money would be much better spent on a fiery-legged vixen that will last me a really long time. Should I talk to my man and beg him, plead, grovel if need be to make this temptress my own, or just give up and look the other way? I don't know what to do! I find myself going to this dealer's website daily, hourly almost, and come soooo close to clicking that shiny little "Buy Now!" button.....the agony of it all is almost too much to bear! Any advice???
Yes! PUSH that button, and u shall find ur peace :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I once told you that ticks are free. Maybe you should just stick with that plan :D

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any advice???
Pursue creative writing as a profession, cast a magical character as your protagonist (see wizard, hobbit, polar bear wearing amour), make millions of dollars, buy your spider :)

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Find and buy 3 slings of this species. Cheaper, fun to watch grow and odds are one will be female maybe more.

SuperRad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You asked me about where I was planning to get my boehmei and how much it was going for a few days ago.

Where did you finally decide to get one at? I'd appreciate a link cause I'm always in the market for new places to imagine getting T's from.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alexis. Do what you KNOW {D {D {D you would tell me to do.

CLICK THAT "BUY NOW" BUTTON BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Find and buy 3 slings of this species. Cheaper, fun to watch grow and odds are one will be female maybe more.

That's true, but if you're looking to breed them in the future then that's not the best solution for 2 reasons:

1) You're most likely getting all 3 slings from the same clutch, and inbreeding isn't really recommended.
2) The males will grow faster and would potentially mature before the females do anyway.

However, yes, cheaper and more fun to watch grow, I completely agree with! :)

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When breeding one needs patience! If your in a hurry, get ready to pay for it.

I generally get a few slings from different sources i.e. I got 3 P.met slings that came from Kelly Swift's egg sac. and I got 2 P.met slings from Europe. Sometimes I will get some slings and then when they grow, I have at least one adult female. The I get a few more slings of this species and when they mature see if I get a male. While you are waiting for them to grow Males may become available on loan and also you can send your males out on loan. After all that there is a chance you may get slings.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not interested in breeding for the time being (don't have the room and I don't think my hubby would appreciate hundreds of spiderlings). I basically want a well-established girl that will last me a while.
I contacted the dealer and he is holding her for me until I get my pay stub tommorrow so that I know where I stand. How exciting!!!
Desertdweller, I KNEW you'd chime in eventually!!! And you're right, my instincts for some reason tell me this little girly is the one I've been waiting for. :D :D :D :D :D

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I knew you just needed a little . . . "encouragement." (Read: push)

Way to go, girl. Love at first sight is a beautiful thing!

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man there are alot of T pushers on here.
Be sure to post some pics when she arrives:D
You know you're getting her{D

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright well, you guys were right. I did it, I pushed that button. I can expect my new Lady in Red on Tuesday. I can't wait!!! I think I'm going to put her in my living room so I can gaze at her all day.
FYI, I made the purchase from Kenthebugguy.com, and so far he has been FANTASTIC. I emailed an inquiry and received a response within minutes. Look for his full review in the reviews section once I get my girl. Now to think of a name....
{D {D {D {D {D

SuperRad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

:clap: !!!!CONGRATS!!!!{D

I'm getting mine this weekend! Seems like this is just the time of year for boehmei's.

You know you deserved a new T so no regrets, just enjoy your new baby.

arachnophoria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are my favorite brachypelma and on my wish list also.Why not name her after some famous red head...Reba,Lucy,Julia...I like Lucy.I hear these are ferocious hair kickers,so be sure to don the Haz Mat suit,when working near her or her cage:D .Can't wait to see the pix.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds like you already have a good name; Vixen. I got a smaller unsexed one, and named it Fiery Steve after a band that my highschool friends were in.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your new "baby" Alexis!! :clap: I've really been wanting one for a long time... Then again, I think nearly every Brachy is on my wish list :p Post some pics of her when you can!

{D

-Sarah

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Freya (anglican spelling of Freyja). She is the Norse goddess of beauty, love and fertility. She's beautiful, I know I'll love her, and I was thinking long and hard, and someday would actually like to try to breed her (once I have a bigger living space; a la fertility). She's only 4" so she's still got some time to grow and mature further. Aphrodite was just too much of a mouthful to say, and Venus, the Roman counterpart, just sounded too lame IMO. :D