rose hair

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rose hair eating habbits?

I just fed my rose hair. it ran around and picked up 3-4 crickets, then immediatly started to lay down silk about the size of a grapefruit, then dropped the crickets in the middle continued to lay down silk, when it was satisfied it picked them up and started to eat. It was kinda neat, it was like it was putting down a picknick blanket before it would eat. Is this a common thing for them to do?

Thanks

William

Last edited:

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, that's very common, mine does that all the time, i guess it is like a picnic, haha. All 3 of my G. roseas do that, so it's normal, it is awesome to watch them eat, they are interesting, it's great! goodluck with your rosehair!
-Mike

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks

yea its a trip, my A. versacolor, just grabs them from the tongs, then heads back in the web, and munches away. another guestion I have is at what point could I give it something larger to eat like an anole, or pinky mouse? my rosie is about 2-3 inches in body length.

Thanks again

William

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As long as your T is bigger than the food item, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd say 3" can handel a pinkie, they are blind little babys, go for it, just make sure the food isn't bigger than the T, i'm sure the T could handel something bigger then it, but i wouldn't risk it. you know, just to play it safe! Good luck with all that!
-Mike

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks

Cool, I just might wait till it molts and gets a lil bigger, don't want to hurt my lil fuzzy fella/girl, not sure what sex it is, might be a female, the abdonim is bout the size of my thumb

Later

William

Attachments

gerosull

Arachnopeon
re:

hi, just wanted to let you know i'd remove that bark substrate asap. i had my rosie on it, which she didnt mind but i later found out that it is made from fir trees. The problem with that is fir is a soft wood and all soft wood trees produce a natural pestacide which over a period of time could kill your t. just passing on wisdom that was given to me.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im not sure why you have beginner questions like this yet you have posted on here quite a bit. And been a member for a long time. :?
Check out the date on the original post. Must have been one of his first enquiries.