help with my breeder

ednep

Arachnopeon
hi there guys..... just want to ask if i should introduce food to my ts who just made an egg....right now shes guarding it and constantly rolling the egg...when will she start to eat??? when will i introduce food to her???? btw im planning not to get the egg from her...let the natural process take its place (shes a curly hair). thanks in advance for those who can help me.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Agreed, I never feed my females that are holding sacs. I will feed on the day I take the sac though, seems to distract her a little bit.

ednep

Arachnopeon
Agreed, I never feed my females that are holding sacs. I will feed on the day I take the sac though, seems to distract her a little bit.
ok so no food until you take the egg.....if i may ask after how many days (if ever i will take the egg and do the hamock) after she laid her egg should i get it from her???

i know there are a lot of people out there who knows about breeding....i need more help...i dont want this egg to go to waste

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Kinda depends on species. A good average to take it away from mother is a month, and then care for the sac yourself.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I find that in your first few sacs you should take it away later then 30 days. Between day 35-45. That way if the sac is fertile you should have eggs with legs by then no matter what and there will be no rotation needed. This ends up just being easier for the new breeder in the long run I think.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I'm curious as to why people don't feed females who are guarding a sac? I would think she would be hungry after laying all those eggs.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used to, but one time I fed a Smithi girl, she ate like she had never seen food before and I could not find the food remains. Well mites came and they found the sac. I saved about 75 or so slings, but it was still a big loss to me. So since then right before I expect a sac or know it's in that time frame I do a total tank change and use fresh baked substrate and no more food is offered. I don't want to invite vermin if I don't have to.

I know people that do feed their girls, and still get good hatchings, but I won't anymore.
It's a personal choice I guess. I just know they can go the distance without food and there is no harm done.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have heard 2 reasons for not feeding females with egg sacks. The first is because they tend to be really hungry and may not stop with a couple of crickets, once they get the idea of eating, they may eat the sack. The second was just that if the female is good and hungry it is easier to distract her with food so you can take the sack.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Priceless info, thanks all. I'll be breeding in a few weeks too so I have been soaking up all I can to be ready.

¿What is the prime concern with letting the female keep the sac until hatching?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
¿What is the prime concern with letting the female keep the sac until hatching?
Three things really, first one being if it is the first time mother you do not know what kind of mother she will be all the way though. I take my sacs at day 16 and incubate them myself from then on out. But that is what I do. You should not do that. 30 days + is the agreed time frame you should try to wait before taking a sac. This may prevent her from eating the sac somewhere farther down the line. (Though rare if the sac is fertile in my opinion) They should be eggs with legs anywhere from the 25-45 day mark depending on your temps and will molt into slings just fine with no rotation needed from you.

Second reason there could also be something going on at the 30 day mark that you can stop like mold or mites. I have had a few sacs in the past that had a few eggs going black or a couple of mites attacking one bad egg that could have ruined the whole sac eventually if I left it in with the mother the rest of the way. But by removing those eggs you save some of the young and end up with a success instead of a total disaster.

The third and last reason I take my sacs is I don't want to have to fish out all those slings from a tank when they hatch. I like having them nice and contained in their incubation setup, that way they are very easy to separate when the time comes.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have heard 2 reasons for not feeding females with egg sacks. The first is because they tend to be really hungry and may not stop with a couple of crickets, once they get the idea of eating, they may eat the sack. The second was just that if the female is good and hungry it is easier to distract her with food so you can take the sack.
i have heard that "keep eating" thing before... and i have to say it is just about the dumbest thing i have ever heard. what kind of survivability would a species have if the mother couldn't distinguish between food and brood?

i believe i have fed just about every creature i have ever had on egg/sac and it has always worked fine for me. oh, i take that back, i was experimenting with not feeding centipedes and it didn't seem to make any real dif one way or the other

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i was experimenting with not feeding centipedes and it didn't seem to make any real dif one way or the other
That's cool so the mother did not eat any of the young because she was not fed? I was wondering that because I have some local pedes that I keep and did not know if I should continue feeding them or not. I don't know beans about them so I was going to feed them just incase.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's cool so the mother did not eat any of the young because she was not fed? I was wondering that because I have some local pedes that I keep and did not know if I should continue feeding them or not. I don't know beans about them so I was going to feed them just incase.
iirc, i've had one mother from each group eat the eggs. i've never had an S. polymorpha eat eggs, no matter *What* i do to them

oh, and i didn't mention before but i pretty much always feed brooders prekilled. actually, i pretty much only feed everyting prekilled... but especially brooders