Babycurus jacksoni

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello.

I have 3 questions for the people who owns these.

1. Can you keep them at 71F during the day?

2. Can I use regular peat moss right now?

3. Has anyone been stung by one of these?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From my experience:

1. Sure

2. Sure

3. Nope

The fine print:

1. My invert room doesn't usually get above mid-70s, and everyone seems to grow / molt / eat / etc. just fine.

2. As long as substrate holds a semi-decent amount of humidity, it should be fine. These guys aren't much in the way of burrowers.

3. The only "handling" was when a 2I got out of its delicup and ran around on my arm until I could corral it back into the cup, and I've gently nudged older specimens with my finger before to no ill effect (though I prefer to nudge with forceps). This species can be fast when they want to, so I wouldn't suggest handling. I've read that the effects of the venom are local, hurt like hell, and you're fine in a day or two.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
71 won't kill them but they might not be as active and might not feed as much, and peat moss works great.

I've been keeping jacksoni's for 5-6 months, with multiple broods and I've only had them use their stinger once, a female with young on her back when I was taking her babies and had her backed in a corner, she got the tongs pretty good, scared the hell out of me too cause usually they play dead or run away. They have big attitudes when it comes to prey though.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1. Sure, mine stay at 85-86F during the day, and 75 lows at night.
2. Peat moss or coconut fiber is just fine.
3. No, tail slapped several times.

I handle mine here and there when needed. They are pretty cool, but fast as lightning. So I'd say, try not to handle them. Oh, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this. My jacksoni can freaking jump. When they are walking your hand and you grab their tail or something to move or get them off, mine will launch themselves into the air nearly making it to the ground. Maybe I'm crazy or tired each time but its wild.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I kept mine at room temp...low to mid 70's. Not ideal but in no way would I consider it unhealthy.