Pamphobeteus platyomma?

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I know some of you have some P. platyommas......I've found basically no information on them. Well....I have but I don't speak Russian or German.
Also, what is the correct name? I've seen them listed both as P. platyomma, and Pamphobeteus sp "Platyomma."

Any info you guys can pass along would be wonderful!

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are Viltalius platyomma. For some reason the Germans keep insisting Pamphobeteus.
Steve

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the Germans insist it.....

Because it's where they actually belong as anyone who has them will tell you. They have the same body structure pattern and overall look of the pamphos and I imagine they will be placed there sooner or later.

Currently they are still Vitalius however. At least over here they are.

Phil

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Well now I'm confused. I've only looked at price lists for US dealers and they all have them listed as a Pampho.....the only dealer I've seen list them as Vitalius is Bill from Invertepet. :?

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
the only dealer I've seen list them as Vitalius is Bill from Invertepet.
Okay, I lied. John Hoke has them as Vitalius too. Still confused.......

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by LPacker79
Okay, I lied. John Hoke has them as Vitalius too. Still confused.......
I made an inquiry about this species recently. I was told that it is actually the same as Vitalius wacketi. Evidently, there is some resistance to this for some reason. Does anyone know why?

:?

As to their personalities and such, my big female recently showed me how NASTY she could be. Now, I am just as careful around her as I am with my other well-known "meanies" ;)

Wysi

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
According to The World Spider Catalog Vitalius platyomma was declared as nomina dubia - a dubious or doubtful name.

I have 2 large females and 2 juvenile males. Mine are very "defensive". I personally have a bad reaction to the urticating hair of this species. I keep them the same as my Pamphobeteus spp. - on a barely moistened mix of peat and vermiculite, with a large water dish and a shelter. They have extremely healthy appetites and growth can be rapid.

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Poecilotheria

They are Viltalius platyomma. For some reason the Germans keep insisting Pamphobeteus.
The reason is, that the one from the Platnick list and the one in the pet trade are two different species. The "Vitalius/Pamphobeteus" in the pet trade is a member of the genus Pamphobeteus. That's why more and more call the pet trade species: Pamphobeteus sp. "platyomma". =;-)

all the best,
Martin