Houston, We Have Avic Eggsacs! :) (slings for all pretty soon!)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Houston, We Have Avic Eggsacs! :) PICS! (slings for all pretty soon!)

Hello all

So after a VERY chance breeding loan between me and Jeff (JCohen), as of July 4th, I've got an official eggsac for this lady =D

Avicularia avicularia, bred June 6th and June 7th.

This is the first official eggsac that's been produced since i joined this list!!

Now, of course, we still can't count our slings untill they hatch, but my dealings with avics show that they're great mothers...

as long as this sac is fertile (which it 99.9% should be), we're in like flynn...

that is if she doesn't eat it.. which she shouldn't .. ive only had that happen once.

Anyways, i'm planning on pulling this around mid august... so i'll let everyone know, as always, what the deal is.

they 2 breeding parents were great Ts! My female is the slowest avic ever. i've seen her get the breath of god in her maybe once or twice.

Anyways, She's going to be bred again very soon, and i need to find a geroldi male to breed my female geroldi.. any takers?

anyways sorry for the pics, i didn't want to disturb too much but i think you'll be able to obviously see what the deal is :)

happy independence day indeed!

peace
dave

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and the other.

boy was she gravid as all get out! I'llpost some BEFORE pics -- actually, Jeff, i think you have some, so could you post them please? if not, send them back to me and i'll resize them .. I mean, she was G-R-A-V-I-D .. huge!!

now she's got a teeny tiny abdomen..

and the funny thing, though all of this, she was premolt too.. so go figure :) natures funny like that.

enjoy!

hopefully i'll be posting a "GUESS HOW MANY AVIC SLINGS THERE ARE" post.. well not that the guessing will be too hard since its sure to be under 125, but.. you know .. ;)

peace
dave

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
This is very cool and if it works out will make up for the 1.5" A avic that died last week (unexplained).

Here's a good late term shot of her:

And a recent of the gent:

Jeff

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by jcohen9999
This is very cool and if it works out will make up for the 1.5" A avic that died last week (unexplained).

Here's a good late term shot of her:

And a recent of the gent:

Wow, Big Momma and skinny little Dad. Hee. She looks so cute! It's settled, I definitely want some type of avic. :)

Greensleeves

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
Anyways, She's going to be bred again very soon, and i need to find a geroldi male to breed my female geroldi.. any takers?
Congrats on your eggies!

Could you post a pic of your female geroldi? I think the one I was admiring at Midwest Exotic Pets was a male so I want to see the differences between grown ups of the species. Although the odds of me ending up with a female are pretty slim, I'm sure, since they are more valuable. Heck, a lady would probably be wasted on me since I probably wouldn't feel knowledgeable enough to breed her. :)

But I'm curious, and I like to admire pretty bugs. *makes big, cartoony eyes*

Greensleeves

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Dave,
That looks like a huge eggsack.
You shouldn't have any problems, avic's are good mamas.

Wish I could help ya with the geroldi, but I'm pretty sure now mine is a female.

Good luck man!!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm definitely not too worried about the eggsac going for bust, since all my avics have been great mammas... the only bad thing is if its unfertile, which it shouldn't be at all :)

Its a nice big eggsac, i cant wait untill August!! i have much to do around mid august!

And jeff -- no reason, she just off and died?!!
I guess it does happen, but still that sucks. Sorry man. Hopefully I'll be sending about 50 avic slings your way pretty soon =D

ST- are you thinking of breeding your geroldi?

peace
dave

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Yes, sir. That's the guy. He hasn't eaten much but I am working on it.

On that other 1.5" A avic....I think it was preparing for a molt and then all of a sudden...death curl. Kinda stinks as it was my daughters but having another 50 or so will make her forget real quick :)

Jeff

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
man, did that guy molt? boy did he get some nice colouration on him!!!

as for the avic slings...well,we'll hope so...

like i said, august 17th through the 20th should be when i pull this sucker.. Can't wait to post the pics here!

how cool was this whole deal?!! :)

peace
dave

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Congrats on the egg case Dave, and hopefully you'll have a few hundred slings soon :cool:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully is right :)

I usually get a really good number from avics.. they're really easy to breed and rear... ive never lost an eggsac to the mother (lost one once to a rosea though), and they give off a nice medium number of slings.

can't wait to post the slings pics :)

pce
dave

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats, Dave!

That's awesome! I hope you have much success with the eggsac hatching!

Best wishes,

Paul

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I (usually) generally do ;)

except for the latest Holothele incei eggsac.. it was munched. But then again, there's not much you can do while you're sleeping, right? I suspect she knew they were infertile.

Will post more pics as i get them!

a week untill i open this bad boy!

peace
dave

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its down to:

going monday to get some deli cups filled with substrate... i'm cutting open monday or tuesday night.

so we'll see what finally happens. Hopefully its some slings :)

peace
dave

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just a quick question, are you going to be selling these? Im looking for a few more right now because id like to try to breed someday. If so, drop me a message. Im assuming you might end up giving them away since you could end up with over 1000. Considering there was actually a hatch of 2600 over here a little while back, im predicting maybe 1500 slings in yours unless you have some freak gigantic eggsac that might hatch even more than 2605.

btw, does anybody the largest hatch of any species ever? Id be curious to know what species it was.

Im looking forward to the results!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by scorpio
Considering there was actually a hatch of 2600 over here a little while back, im predicting maybe 1500 slings in yours unless you have some freak gigantic eggsac that might hatch even more than 2605.
Try more like 150 on the outside for an Avic. Some species do the lots of little slings (e.g. the L. parahybana your thinking of), others do the few larger slings. Avics are in the second category. That's why something like T. blondi costs what it does, high demand, small eggsacs (~50).