Whats wrong here??

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He made a sperm web the other day, but no go. He is ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED of his girl, and the worst part is, is that she is no where close to being aggressive. He taps, shakes, the works. The only possible problem is that she does not move whatsoever, doesnt really show any signs of being receptive, but when he touches her, she lifts her front legs up, but not in an aggressive way... Here are some pics of what just happened.
Shes in a large KK and I sharked him for two days.
He is tapping in these next two pics:

She seems like she wants it!

So I open the top

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He walked out, tapped a lot, she walked up all the way to the opening and he backed off.

Even crawled up closer.

He went more forward, freaked and ran out... leaving her with her front legs up...

I guess I'm just gunna leave them together longer and see what comes of it..

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kinda like my first date...ok, no, that was bad, sorry Austin :D

Maybe he just needs more time. It seems awfully odd that he would not be able to perform what he is hardwired to do.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kinda like my first date...ok, no, that was bad, sorry Austin :D

Maybe he just needs more time. It seems awfully odd that he would not be able to perform what he is hardwired to do.
Haha.

Well its weird, the person i got him from had him make his rounds with other females and all were successful I believe..

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are fun aren't they? {D

Ok my method......

I don't shark my MM's. I place the MM in her tank, if he does like he did with you and tries to walk out and away like a wimp, I free handle him a bit then walk him right back into the females tank. I just keep repeating till I get the result I want, or I get bored. More often then not I can get them to pair.

That's weird that he is not being receptive to mating and he has already. Every time a male becomes proven they really do become studs. I have a MM now that I am 100% positive I could throw up my web cam toss him in with a bred female and they would pair again. Guess he has cold feet ;P

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah it is. Well here is what I'm going to do. I stopped with the shark cage, and put him into his own/bigger cage. There is a lot of room in there for him. I'll going to let him settle down a bit. When Mon or Tues rolls around, I'm taking the female out of hers and putting her into his. I dunno, it was suggested by Stan, so it should work huh? We'll see.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I made a tiny mistake. When I looked at the smithi add in the classifieds, I thought it said "he is done with my females and ready to go" or something along those lines. Turns out "I think" he has not been with one in the first place. :eek: So, he has no idea what to do, lol. I just wanted to make that clear. Sorry Olan, I must have been tired or something. :eek:
I will try her in his cage Mon. though. Maybe he'll feel more at ease in his house. As Stan sais"He wants sex, but he may only want it in his pad, not hers. Some guys are that way." Stole the words right out of my mouth. :)

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, this guys green. Sorry he's being such a wimp! I think trying it on his own turf might work. And he's even the same size as the female! Your brave little crawshayi male is (was) making him look bad!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, this guys green. Sorry he's being such a wimp! I think trying it on his own turf might work. And he's even the same size as the female! Your brave little crawshayi male is (was) making him look bad!
This makes a lot more sense. MM Smithi are pansies till they pair with success for the first time.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Would it make a difference if the female had already dropped a successful sac? It is funny though to see him run away. Sorry Austin, it just me me smile.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would it make a difference if the female had already dropped a successful sac? It is funny though to see him run away. Sorry Austin, it just me me smile.
No difference really. They just are big chickens. Sometimes you will get a MM that really acts like he was waiting all his life to be mature. But most MM Smithi will have cold feet at one time or another.
I am sure with plenty of tries you will get her mated....

Although I did have one MM a few years back that matured and died having never mated a female. He was the king of all wimps.{D

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That last picture is the best. I mean, I'm sure it's frustrating for you but it just looks so cute for some reason. Hopefully one good pairing will turn him into a ladies' man. Good luck!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you suggesting that he's skippy, gay or queer?

No good can come of that pairing. . .
I have done it before, and believe it or not had a MM drum to another male. Not a MM just an immature male. I found that to be very very odd. I guarded them both ofcourse and nothing bad happened. Weird huh?

imjim

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have done it before, and believe it or not had a MM drum to another male. Not a MM just an immature male. I found that to be very very odd. I guarded them both ofcourse and nothing bad happened. Weird huh?
Well I can tolerate hybrids and other pseudo-scientist stuff but I draw a line at sexual manipulation, violation of anaimals and "will" hunt someone down - its just wrong ; )

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm

he is playing ahrd to get. Making her lust first to want it more lol..

I would put the enclosures right next to each other for a little while. When he is ready just open up the lids to each and coax the male up to the top of the tank where the female is and let the magic begin, if not then yeeeeeeea he isnt ready I suppose.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welll tonight was the night I was planning on trying them out. Here are the results:

He had NO IDEA it was her. She turned around very slowly, and he was gone. I repeated it for almost 30 min. with the same thing everytime. At one point I even saw her shaking her legs and somewhat bobbing, but it scared him even more... Gah this really sucks. Good thing I have a 5" M in premolt. I think I'm gunna need him. :rolleyes: