A. hentzi & G. aureostriata arrived (with some sad news)

Strix

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yesterday I got my G. aureostriata and an A. hentzi sling from Kenthebugguy.

The aureostriata seems to be DOA and Ken has been real helpful about the situation. The packaging was great, the T's looked to be real healthy and I am pleased with his swift responses and great service.

I've been thinking about what could have happened to the aureostriata and tonight when I came home from work (they arrived about 10 minutes before I had to leave) and it looks like the box was jumbled around in transit and her cephalothorax was bent in an odd position away from her abdomen. I'm not sure since I am really new to the hobby and this was the only thing that seems logical after now getting a really good look at her.

Regardless, I have moved her into an ICU because I talked to a friend who has been in the hobby for a long time and he has seen and heard of some that have bounced back from the brink of death and I'd rather take the time in case there is any life left in her.

I took some pictures and maybe someone is much more of an expert can look and see if anything had happened during transit.

The A. hentzi is alive and healthy and I plan on giving her the best of care.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She doesn't look too bad to me, but I would keep her in an ICU with plenty of water. Carefully try to look her over and see if there is any leaking clear/white fluid. If not, she'll probably be alright. If there is external damage, you can patch it up. There are several ways to do this and a quick search should provide some tips.
If there is internal damage there's not much you can do. I do know that sometimes if a tarantula is injured it can somehow speed up the next molt and try to fix any damage.
I hope your girl pulls through. Ken is an excellent guy and I'm sure you guys will figure something out in case the worst happens.
I wish you best of luck, and I'm glad your hentzi arrived safely.
Take care

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, from the pictures she looks fine. Almost bloated, actually. I'm not sure if that is actually something that can happen. Her abdomen just looks insanely large.

Keep the ICU going and make sure you keep it warm for her. Keep us posted.

--Joe

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, from the pictures she looks fine. Almost bloated, actually. I'm not sure if that is actually something that can happen. Her abdomen just looks insanely large.

Keep the ICU going and make sure you keep it warm for her. Keep us posted.

--Joe
I was thinking the same thing, actually. That is one large tarantula. I would also probably hold off feeding for a while til that goes down a bit. Don't take my word on it, but it appears that she may also be in early pre-molt. That abdomen is starting to darken. It's not completely black yet, but it looks like it may be starting. If that's the case she probably will start to fast soon anyway, so feeding would just be pointless. Hold off on feeding for a while, make sure she's got water. If she doesn't decline in any way in a couple of days, I would put her back into her regular tank. You don't want a tarantula in an ICU for too long if it's not needed. I can't remember where, but I know I read somewhere that it's a good idea to put them back into their surroundings if they appear to be doing well.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alexis,

That spider isn't moving. It's not responding to him at all. So yeah, what you're saying is true, if she were moving and responsive. Hehe.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I know, I'm just trying to throw out all possible options. It is a little worrisome that it isn't responsive. I do know my aureo wasn't frisky in pre-molt but she would at least scrunch up if I opened her tank (and flicked a hair or five when I didn't get the clue).

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah,

From what Strix was telling me, all he got from her was a little twitch from her leg when he first unpacked her. I haven't heard otherwise with the exception of this thread, so I guess we'll have to wait for him to wake up and let us know what's going on.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's weird cos she's not in death curl but looks really stiff from those pics. I hope she recovers for you.

Strix

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As per request from Ken this morning I flipped her over and took a picture of her underside and it definitely looks like a rupture between her cephalothorax and abdomen.

I didn't want to risk flipping her over last night until I was sure there was no hope.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yah

Very bad week for shipping :( Just a question cause this went priority I was just wondering if it sat on the porch for any length of time? I know that the ice chest keep for about 2 hours but any longer than that and weather can get them. Just want to know what happened...you have been very nice and communicative in all this I appreciate that.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feel really bad for you right now, Ken. You have had a string of shipments-gone-wrong and it's not even your fault. Priority sucks sometimes, I used to work in the mailroom at my company and I know how it can take a while sometimes. At least, even though these things have been happening, it seems your customers stand by your packing job and service. It really says a lot about you when something goes wrong and 1) you keep in contact with your customer and 2) genuinely care about the animal. I certainly appreciate all you've done for me, and won't hesitate to deal with you again. Thanks for sticking by us. :eek:
Strix, I know there are some options concerning patching up external injuries. Off the top of my head, I know that you can use corn starch and/or clear-coat nail polish (I think so, anyway). You may want to do a search on injuries or something to that extent and see what you find. I know that it may seem grim, but tarantulas are exceptionally strong when it comes to surviving extreme conditions. Patch her up as quick as you can and keep her in that ICU. She may still pull through, yet.
I really wish you the best of luck with her, she's a beautiful animal.
EDIT: maybe I didn't read it right, but did she already pass? :(

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I feel really bad for you right now, Ken. You have had a string of shipments-gone-wrong and it's not even your fault. Priority sucks sometimes, I used to work in the mailroom at my company and I know how it can take a while sometimes. At least, even though these things have been happening, it seems your customers stand by your packing job and service. It really says a lot about you when something goes wrong and 1) you keep in contact with your customer and 2) genuinely care about the animal. I certainly appreciate all you've done for me, and won't hesitate to deal with you again. Thanks for sticking by us. :eek:

Thanks for the support...I really hate when something goes wrong but I guess when you ship this much it will happen. I am trying to learn anything I can to figure out what I can do to prevent it in the future. I also appreciate everyones ideas and suggestions as I always work to improve my shipping when possible. Truthfully don't know if there is anything I can do different right now though and maybe it was all just a bad luck. Well thanks for the nice comments everyone! I appreciate it all and both of these customers have been very nice during all this. I hope I can gain customers like them through all my years of doing this :)

Strix

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It sat on the porch for maybe about 5 minutes tops. I was very "obsessive" with checking every few minutes to see if the package arrived. I'm just glad it had arrived before leaving for work or it would have been sitting out about an hour before someone would have brought it inside.

I think it might be a bit to late for patching since there is a pretty nice amount of hemolymph outside of her, i'm not exactly sure when she got ruptured in transit and I know she has been sitting here for a day with the wound.

I think the twitch in the leg I told hexd about may have been more of me getting her out of constraint and the legs just kinda of falling on their own.

She was a very beautiful T and I have been talking to ken in private and on the forums to try and supply him with as much information as possible in case there is anything else that can be done for safer shipping.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thanks

It sat on the porch for maybe about 5 minutes tops. I was very "obsessive" with checking every few minutes to see if the package arrived. I'm just glad it had arrived before leaving for work or it would have been sitting out about an hour before someone would have brought it inside.

I think it might be a bit to late for patching since there is a pretty nice amount of hemolymph outside of her, i'm not exactly sure when she got ruptured in transit and I know she has been sitting here for a day with the wound.

I think the twitch in the leg I told hexd about may have been more of me getting her out of constraint and the legs just kinda of falling on their own.

She was a very beautiful T and I have been talking to ken in private and on the forums to try and supply him with as much information as possible in case there is anything else that can be done for safer shipping.
Thanks...Yah I do not think it was the weather there anyways as you told me the temps and that should have been fine even if it did sit out. Well go figure I am just at a loss on this one completely.