Odd Cobalts

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently recieved a shipment of cobalt blues {H lividum} and along w/ being larger than most Cobalts I have recieved they also had a differant look to their abdomen and just seemed a bit strange looking for the species, apart from their look they act like normal cobalts, the 2 in the pic need a shed but I dont think that would acct. for the abmormaly vivid markings on the abdomen, most I have seen have only slight or absent markings at this size (about 5.5+"} shown also is a pic of what I would call "normal looking Cobalts", does anyone have any insight into the difference in look between the "odd Cobalts" and the "normal Cobalt" pix below? I was just thinking it may just be a color variant from a differant locale or something to that effect but dont have any info on collection sights to either confirm or expell this theory, any Ideas? PEACE, B.

Normal Cobalt

Odd Cobalts

DSCF0749.JPG

Last edited:

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
???????

Does anyone else have a Cobalt adult w/ markings such as those in the pix? B.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It sort of resembles some haplopelma non-cobalts on this website: (I had a hard time getting to the genus/species list, it's not in English)
Haplopelma robustum:
http://sklipkani.cz/polozka/529/Haplopelma_robustum
Haplopelma longipes (scroll down to bottom of page for pictures):
http://sklipkani.cz/polozka/1625/Haplopelma_longipes

Neither are exactly what you have, but they are a little similar. Notice how both, even though they aren't lividum, still have a hint of blue and the distinct abdomen markings. Neither are as dark as what you have, but I think it is slightly possible you have something other than a lividum. Hard to say for sure. Hope it helps a little, and good luck on your findings.

crotaline

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had them before. They are the light phase. Once they molt they should look like the "normal" one except with a light colored abdomen and chevrons.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Darn, and here I was, hoping I was onto something. :eek:
IDK I think you are lol. Cuz from looking at those pics it seems 2 be a divrent breed then the H lividim. Close but yeah the abdom is diffrent.
Only time will tell , Am i right? lol

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Could it just be the sling coloration?

The moult after this pic was taken, the spider turned the characteristic blue.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first thought was wondering if you are sure it was a female? I got both of mine as adults so I don't know what the sling/juvie coloration looks like.
It is pretty though. Listen to Adam and maybe hang onto them until one moults and see if that makes any difference in its appearance.

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cobalt

I dont know if I buy the sling colors theory as these spiders are easily all of
5+" and surely adults, and the patterns are not mottled at all even on the female that realy needs a shed, here is a fresher molted female and a penultimate male that is within a week of his last shed, they just dont look like any cobalts I have ever seen, and I have seen many cobalts, the patern seems to get more vivid after a molt, at least on the sub male, there is a adult female H albostriatum also and the abdomen has much the same pattern, maybe its an integrade, they came in the same shipment, ?????????

Female
DSCF0766.JPG

Last edited:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I dont know what they are Brandon.,...but I want them!

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well at least I don't feel like a complete idiot for throwing out my opinion, now, knowing that they're adults and some male/some female etc. I'm not an entomologist, I know, but it seems pretty clear to me that it's not a "typical" h.lividum. Maybe you have stumbled across something unique (not necessarily "new")...whatever they are, they are absolutely gorgeous!
Chesh, I respect your view/opinion, seeing as how you are studying entomology and biology. What do you think after seeing adult specimens? I'm genuinely curious and look forward to hearing input from someone that knows more than I do :) .

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i could be way off, but is it possible that they could be hybrids?? i don't know that much about them, and i don't know if you've tried breeding them or anything, but the patterning on the abdomen is crazy and if the spider is 5.5" and not showing bright blue, well.... either that or it could just be a light phase :rolleyes: hmmm, either way, good lookin spider :clap: :D

Last edited:

Topcat1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Leg IV looks like H. longpipes on that second one, kinda. Then again I've never really looked at leg IV of H. lividum really. Maybe if you could get some closeups of legs IV, and someone can get some closeups of their H. lividum's legs IV, that could be a start, or rule it out.
Those just don't look like H. lividum other than the slight blue. I can't remember where I read it, but I'm not sure that hybrids of the Haplopelma genus do very well for themselves.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's what I thought as well, if it was a hybrid I have a hard time believing that so many would have reached adulthood. I mean, you never know, I just doubt it. I'm still thinking it's not a lividum.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont know if I buy the sling colors theory as these spiders are easily all of 5+" and surely adults
Then they're not H. lividium.

I'd be interested to see what Volker and Martin have to say on the matter.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is becoming very interesting, indeed. I will be keeping an eye on this thread, for sure. Where are our gurus when we need them? ;)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You want my opinion?
Now this is speculation for now but I believe those are WC H lividiums in need of a molt. I have seen alot of WC imports that are faded like that. Once they molt they look like a CB spider like we are used to seeing in that they will be more brilliant. I believe that those in the wild have longer molt cycles due mostly to less food as they would recieve in captivity thus their exoskeletons can get really weathered.

Thats just an opinion but until someone steps forward with something better I'm sticking with it ;)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
You want my opinion?
Now this is speculation for now but I believe those are WC H lividiums in need of a molt. I have seen alot of WC imports that are faded like that. Once they molt they look like a CB spider like we are used to seeing in that they will be more brilliant.
you might have a point, and i was sorta wondering the same just because of the not-so-brilliant colors, but the patterns on the abdomen are so different and so vivid. he even showed a picture of a "fresher molted female" and the coloring and patterns were still not "normal". i don't know. anyone? :eek:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"Color means nothing" -Volker Von Wirth @Arachnocon 2006 :)