Good first species to breed?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is a question for the more experienced breeders here. I've been hesitant to try any breeding because i want to do it properly and responsibly. I think i'm about ready now, however to start moving towards that goal. What are some species of T that are generally not especially challenging to breed? Also, something i'll be able to sell and also something with at least a medium growth rate.

The confirmed adult females i currently have are E murinus, H lividum, G rosea and an Avic that is either Avic avic or A metallica. The Avic is out because i'm not 100% on the id (purchased as A metallica but who knows, right?) The rosea is out because i'll never move the babies and i don't need 100 more G rosea. I'm very open to buying an adult fem of another species as well if someone can point me in the right direction.

So: what's it like breeding E murinus and H lividum and what are some other species that aren't outrageously expensive that are relatively easy to breed?

I want to start out doing this right, no accidental hybrids and preferably a species that will move. Am i asking too much?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't claim to be an experienced breeder, so you might throw this post out the window anyway. :p

I've had great success with P. murinus in the past. One male went through my 5 females and all 5 produced sacs.

I haven't tried E. murinus or H. lividium before, but I have a female lividium I'd love to give a shot at!

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G.rosea is your best bet...look, with it being relatively easy to breed it gets your feet wet into cool-down periods, signs of what a female will do when ready to produce a sac and helpful general knowledge issues of basic post sac care..its just invaluable when you think of it, so i'd actually start there...if babys are a concern:? then allow for some cannibalism and drop the numbers with some really healthy slings....this way you dont worry to much with having FF cultures and can go to small crixs....

wayne

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if G. rosea is so easy to breed, then why do we still need WC?

i think a good breeder species is P. ragalis. one of the best Poecilotheria to look at, relative easy to breed and there is allways a demand for them!

good luck
Eddy

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the need for WC's is reasoned in the above post "The rosea is out because i'll never move the babies and i don't need 100 more G rosea" because people have this attitude is why WC's are still around..not that i blame him....

wayne

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the need for WC's is reasoned in the above post "The rosea is out because i'll never move the babies and i don't need 100 more G rosea" because people have this attitude is why WC's are still around..not that i blame him....

wayne
Yeah, plus they grow so dang slow. I think if i mated my female today i could sell off some nice, big 2" slings in about 3 years...
Now i feel bad for not wanting to do it. My big girl's been fasting for about 4 months now and her bum is sloooooowwly darkening. Probably she'll molt in another 6 months and by then i can find her a male.

Actually, i forgot that i also have an adult P murinus. She's a proven breeder too so i hear. Maybe i'll try with her. How big are their sacs typically?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think too big. It's been years since I bred those...I want to say 30-50, but I'm sure i'm wrong. ;P

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
but if this is your 1st crack at breeding your not looking for numbers per-say, as much as your looking for success;P....

OBT's those are good too and if you cant sell of the excess, you could always try your 1st communal set-up;) ....

wayne

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
but if this is your 1st crack at breeding your not looking for numbers per-say, as much as your looking for success;P....

OBT's those are good too and if you cant sell of the excess, you could always try your 1st communal set-up;) ....

wayne
I would be happy to take an OBT (or a couple at least) off your hands. I've been wanting one for a little while now. I am hopefully getting a chordatus soon but an OBT is still a must-have. I think that would be the better choice over the rosea but I also have never bred anything. I just think you'd have an easier time selling OBT's than roseas.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would be happy to take an OBT (or a couple at least) off your hands. I've been wanting one for a little while now. I am hopefully getting a chordatus soon but an OBT is still a must-have. I think that would be the better choice over the rosea but I also have never bred anything. I just think you'd have an easier time selling OBT's than roseas.
Agreed. Plus P murinus is another species that you see many WC around so i'd still be 'doing the right thing' as it were. Ditto H lividum for that matter.

Besides, if i want a G rosea eggsac all i need to do is walk into a petstore in early fall and buy a big female rosea. Odds are i'll get a sac sooner or later... (joke but sadly true)

I'll have to mull this over, the rosea has to molt first but the OBT molted just a couple months ago. Thanks for the info. Maybe i'll do both this year.

Last edited:

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never bred anything before either and have a female B. Emilia what are you guys or gals thoughts on that as a first time project ?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have never bred anything before either and have a female B. Emilia what are you guys or gals thoughts on that as a first time project ?
brachy's are a harder 1st time species....i'd hit up ryan(talkenlate) as brachys are his thing, well as of late everything is his thing lol.....he has got alot of experience and can tell you the goods and bad of this genus..

wayne

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, brachys are tough. I'm trying them out for the first time this year.

There's a few posts on it already...try searching the forums.

Kwadapok

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
not trying to steal the topic or anything but i was going to try breeding in a year or so but was thinking of using L. parahybana. anyone have thoughts on this species?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not trying to steal the topic or anything but i was going to try breeding in a year or so but was thinking of using L. parahybana. anyone have thoughts on this species?
I believe L parahybana has tremendously huge sacs on the order of at least 1000. that alone is enough to discourage me until i've made the kind of connections needed to sell them all. They're great t's tho!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd almost rather try Subfusca lol.
Brachy's other then Vagans and Albopilosum are tough to breed. Tons of people try and fail including me. If you mate 10 Emilia and get 1 sac consider yourself lucky. And those odds are more likely stacked a little more against you then that.

With that said though if you have a freshly molted female down the road and can get a lock on a MM, there is no reason to not try!

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to the OP but I have to hijack this post real fast because I have no other option, I really apologize.
xhexdx, your inbox is full so I'm unable to send you the information you needed. I wasn't sure if you ever go to the WH to see the "inbox full" thread, so I thought my best bet was on here.
Again, guys, I apologize. :8o

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry to the OP but I have to hijack this post real fast because I have no other option, I really apologize.
xhexdx, your inbox is full so I'm unable to send you the information you needed. I wasn't sure if you ever go to the WH to see the "inbox full" thread, so I thought my best bet was on here.
Again, guys, I apologize. :8o
Well i can overlook it just this once because i like the Poe quote but don't you let it happen again young lady! :rolleyes:

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And you know what? I'm such a boob: I completely forgot about just clicking on his profile and choosing "send email". Duh. Sorry again! I haven't been thinking straight since yesterday, and I'm feeling mentally exhausted. Oh well, enough excuses. :p
Um...as far as your OP, I still vote for p.murinus hehe.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What about the Psalmopoeus genus. I have had some sucsess with them. My female cambridgei produced two good eggsacks last year and one dud (no male) this year. She fought tooth an nail to defend all three.