apophysis and a blondi ?

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does anyone know if it is possible to cross a apophysis with a blondi ? Has this been done?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have heard that a german breeder tried for the sake of trying, with the T.A. eating the blondi male:wall: sooo maybe but i wouldnt try....

wayne

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was under the impression that any two animals of the same genus could potentially reproduce. Both belong to genus Theraphosa, so I would assume it could be done.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They can, and since their territory over lap a bit, we could technicaly have WC specimens with some hybrid genetics.

However, apophysis is still a very rare spider, so I'd rather breed quite a bunch of true TA before trying any other thing with them.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im sure they have been hybridised, i seem to remember some pics of a possible hybrid.

Their wild status could be interesting, i wonder how long the apophysis population and blondi have been separated, ie how long ago did their common ancestor live. I wonder if its 10,000 or 100,000 or maybe a few million years??? I guess only their DNA can reveal those answers. if they can hybridise it would be interesting to see if the offspring show hybrid vigour!! I also wonder if there are any other theraphosa species out there.