Tarantula genetics

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With all the discussion of inbreeding and hybridizing going on right now and, of course, all the questions and statements about the genetics involved, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of any literature or studies dealing with theraphosid genetics. Yes, the basic science of genetics can probably be applied to tarantulas but until we really know what genes are actually involved, can we really make big genetic arguments against inbreeding or hybridizing? An example: Ryan's example of the sibling hybrids with different phenotypes, what is actually causing this? Is there a name for the gene expressing these different characteristics? Another example: The species that are abundant in (US) the hobby now thought to have originated with only one gravid, WC female. What does this say about inbreeding?

It's not like we're breeding corn snakes or leopard geckos in that we know exactly what's going on so why aren't more people experimenting with tarantulas and trying to figure what's going on? Is it the maturation time of tarantulas? The profit margin that goes along with introducing something new to the hobby? Something else? Or are we just taking what we know from other "exotic" animal hobbies and applying it to tarantulas? Is this just the beginning of tarantula genetics?

Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness way of writing this. Long day combined with a lot of questions for which I haven't quite figured out a way of asking.

My only stipulation (that I will have no way of enforcing :D) is that , even though I brought up other animals, you don't try to bring dogs, cats, wolves, rutabegas, or dandelions into the conversation. Thanks. :D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
or dandelions into the conversation.
Aww shucks why not? Guess that counts me out of the conversation. I would not have anything to add anyway, so I guess I will watch for replies from those who might know or have good educated theories.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aww shucks why not? Guess that counts me out of the conversation. I would not have anything to add anyway, so I guess I will watch for replies from those who might know or have good educated theories.
Remember: I said I had no way of enforcing my stipulation. Wax intellectual on dandelions all you'd like. It would probably be good for me anyway. Only thing I know about them is that they're weeds, you can eat the greens and make wine out of the flowers. :D

Stream-of-consciousness probably got in the way of how I wanted my questions to come out. I meant the example of your hybrids as a good thing. Until someone, you in that instance, experiments with them we won't really have any clue what's going on. It's getting a bit tiresome hearing the same arguments for and against hybrids or inbreeding when no one has any real information pertaining to tarantulas.

omni

Arachnobaron
Thinking the more complex the organism, the greater risk of genetic defect. But there's not much documentation. Some good hobby discussions on ATSHQ...
I can't get away from the feeling that the genepool will be weakened or depleted some, but comparing T's to other creatures probably doesn't apply.

I'm not a BTS member, but found a referenced article: "Inbreeding of tarantulas" by J. P. Clapp, 1996, The Journal of the British Tarantula Society, vol 11, pp 132-133.
Maybe someone can pull that up and post a link here to it for us.