Input on Various Species

CalvinKelly

Arachnopeon
Greetings.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my Grammostola rosea, but have decided it's time for something new. My rosehair was beautiful, but, as is the usual complaint with rosehairs, I may as well have had a pet rock; I'm sure I could have safely kept it on my pillow next to me at night and not had to worry about it moving.

Species I'm considering are:

Theraposa blondi (Goliath birdeater - the big daddy), Poecilotheria metallica (Gooty ornamental - the GORGEOUS spider), Cyriopagopus sp. "blue" (Singapore blue - the jewel), or Haplopelma hainanum (Black earth tiger - the asshole).

All are extremely fascinating in their own ways, but do you guys happen to have any input on any of these species?

Secondly, do you know of any respectable American dealers who carry them?

Thanks!

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It isn't on your list, but may I recommend Lasiodora paraybana? It grows to almost the same size as a blondi (who can really complain about an inch or so at that size?), are much hardier, IMO look way better than blondis. They are always out in the open as adults, and eat like machines! That being said, everything on your list is great!

Or get an A. versicolor, because they are just as beautiful as a P. metallica and a fraction of the cost. Plus, if you get bit (not likely), it won't suck as much!

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
let's see here:

T blondi - kick hairs, and can cause sever allergic reactions in some people. plus i've heard they have bad humidity probs, so they need a lot of humidity

P metallica - as any poecilotheria, they'll be quick, but pretty. on the defensive/nervous side. and not to mention they cost a pretty penny

Cyriopagopus sp blue - nice, better choice for your money compared to the P metallica. a lot cheaper. but they are pretty defensive/aggressive. get pretty big around 9", maybe more. biggest one i've ever seen in real life was 8".

H hainanum - somewhat rare, but not too rare. not too pricey. very pretty but very defensive/aggressive, as you pointed out. plus you might have problems because last time i looked for one of these all i could find were Wild Caught specimens

hope that helps :) personally i'd go with something a little bit more user friendly, like an Avic of some sort.

and yeah, not all G rosea are pet rocks.. the ones i used to own were some of my most defensive/aggressive T's. ever consider G pulchra or G aureostriata? those two are very beautiful, get big and bulky, and are docile, and they are certainly not 'pet rocks' !!!

-Dan-​

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Have you considered going with a semi aggressive species and getting some more experience before going with something as big as a blondi or any old worlds?
Think about an L. parahybana, A. geniculata, N. chromatus, L. difficilis. I'm going to keep repeating this and hope someone eventually listens. A T. blondi IS NOT a good first, second, third, forth,fifth or sixth spider. Give yourself sometime to get used to a T that actually moves, do some reading, put some real thought into housing, feeding and maintenance, then think about getting a blondi.

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ever consider G pulchra or G aureostriata? those two are very beautiful, get big and bulky, and are docile, and they are certainly not 'pet rocks' !!!
-Dan-​
I think there actually is a large female G. aureostriata up for sale in the FOR SALE section here.

CalvinKelly

Arachnopeon
It isn't on your list, but may I recommend Lasiodora paraybana?
I didn't look into that one much, but now that I do, I certainly like it.

So now I guess I have it narrowed down to L. parahybana, C. sp, and H. hainanum (leaning more towards the para or the blue, I'm hearing some pretty scary stories about the hainanum).

So the para and the blue are similar in size, but the blue is prettier imo. I like the idea of the para being so bold though.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't look into that one much, but now that I do, I certainly like it.

So now I guess I have it narrowed down to L. parahybana, C. sp, and H. hainanum (leaning more towards the para or the blue, I'm hearing some pretty scary stories about the hainanum).

So the para and the blue are similar in size, but the blue is prettier imo. I like the idea of the para being so bold though.
Also, and haplopelmas like the H hainanum will be pretty boring too. At least with a pet rock there's something to see. Haplopelmas are pet holes. They stay underground 99% of their lives. You may find the C. sp. blue kind of a handful too because of it's speed and adult size. My advice is if you want arboreal go with an Avic. If you want terrestrial there are many choices in the genus' brachypelma, grammostola, nhandu, acanthroscurria, aphonopelma and lasiadora. Aphonopelma's in particular are very hardy, non-defensive and usually cheap. That's because most aphono's are American species so they experience dryer weather and moderate temps when compared with stuff from South America.

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
while we're recommending spiders that aren't on the list can i just step up and recommend Phormictopus cancerides?...BIG beautiful spider...somewhat defensive but hardly a handful and usually quite affordable...i just recently got into this species but i can tell you they're getting to be one of my favorites:)

Ephebopus is also an exceptionally cool genus you should look into:)

Harvey

CalvinKelly

Arachnopeon
Also, and haplopelmas like the H hainanum will be pretty boring too. At least with a pet rock there's something to see. Haplopelmas are pet holes. They stay underground 99% of their lives. You may find the C. sp. blue kind of a handful too because of it's speed and adult size. My advice is if you want arboreal go with an Avic. If you want terrestrial there are many choices in the genus' brachypelma, grammostola, nhandu, acanthroscurria, aphonopelma and lasiadora. Aphonopelma's in particular are very hardy, non-defensive and usually cheap. That's because most aphono's are American species so they experience dryer weather and moderate temps when compared with stuff from South America.
Thank you! I didn't realize H. hainanum was that big of a burrower. The pictures I've seen must be all from poor cage setups (so sad to see a burrower not able to burrow). lol one more narrowed out.

I don't mind speed and size (I am actually going for a large spider with some decent speed). I've had my eye on the C. sp. blue for a while now.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
afaik all haplopelma are hardcore obligate burrowers

and full of piss and vinegar

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, if you are into the Singapore blue, then I would strongly encourage you to look at the Malaysian Earth Tiger. My personal opinion here, but I LOVE the more apparent and vivid chevron markings! And, from my experience, the blues are not as blue as they appear in pictures. I'm sorta like you...I want something impressive and beautiful...I have 24 T's and still don't feel like I could take on a blondi! I would also strongly encourage you into looking at the Acanthoscurria species...especially the geniculata...VERY PRETTY!!! Big and bold! Can't go wrong with it. It is docile enough to be handled, but they do like to flick hairs. If old world fascinates you, look more to baboons (my personal favorites of all Ts). Overall, these guys are underrated and overlooked by many due to the misconceptions of fierce aggression. I have 8 baboons, and none are aggressive. None have even offered me a threat display...but, I treat them all with respect and I am as gentle as possible with them when I have to move them out of their tank and into a new one.

And, just FYI: Botar has a 3" malaysian earth tiger for $55...I've never seen a better deal, but then it is unsexed...so it is a risk if you are looking for a female. But, out of your list, I'd definitely go with the Cyriopagopus sp...even if you prefer the singapore blue...these are fascinating species and are very rewarding to own!

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ever consider a GBB or C. cyaneopubscens - very pretty colours, very interesting spider with all the webbing it creates.

Just another option

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would go with L. parahybana...there are fast growers 6" in first year....they eat a lot.......are always out....and are very active.....I can hold mine, but remmember a T this size will cause some pain if you get bit. (below are some pics)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think there actually is a large female G. aureostriata up for sale in the FOR SALE section here.
there's actually 2 or 3 up for sale or trade. one is a 7" beast, i'd love to get her but im satisfied with my one 6" female.

-dan-​

CalvinKelly

Arachnopeon
Wow, BEAUTIFUL spider, robc. I was originally attracted to the G. rosea not because it made a good first spider, but because it had that pink hue. I'm torn between C. sp and the parahybana. Both beautiful, both with good size, and both show themselves (the parahybana more so, of course).

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey...I have 24 T's and still don't feel like I could take on a blondi!
DrJ, Get your blondi. With 24 spiders and as much experience as you seem to have as evidenced by your post, you will find that once you have one, it won't be so hard of a deal and you will regret having put it off. Don't go for years before you get one strictly because you are aprehensive. You will be fine and you will love it.

Welcome to the AB

--Chris

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
DrJ, Get your blondi. With 24 spiders and as much experience as you seem to have as evidenced by your post, you will find that once you have one, it won't be so hard of a deal and you will regret having put it off. Don't go for years before you get one strictly because you are aprehensive. You will be fine and you will love it.

Welcome to the AB

--Chris
T.blond is another awesome T, I am getting one tommorrow{D {D {D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, BEAUTIFUL spider, robc. I was originally attracted to the G. rosea not because it made a good first spider, but because it had that pink hue. I'm torn between C. sp and the parahybana. Both beautiful, both with good size, and both show themselves (the parahybana more so, of course).
The picture doesn't do her justist...get a L. parahybana...you won't be sorry.

CalvinKelly

Arachnopeon
btw, guys, agression (or hair flicking) is not an isse for me, as I do not handle my tarantulas because I try to keep stress levels as low as possible by keeping their environment natural (whch includes lack of human interaction).