Any Reptile You Would Rec...

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What reptile would you say does not need high humidity (and is basically good for beginners)?

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Leopard geckos and bearded dragons are great for beginners. Both require dry setups with access to drinking water.

Nick

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your into lizards I'd say get a Leopard Gecko, A Snake a Corn Snake or California Kingsnake, There all pretty cheap and as long as they arent tiny they're hard to kill.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leopard geckos and bearded dragons are great for beginners. Both require dry setups with access to drinking water.

Nick

yes i say ( 1 ) leopard geckos :worship: :clap: and ( 2 ) bearded dragons :worship: :clap: very good advice :) :) ---- phil

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If your into lizards I'd say get a Leopard Gecko, A Snake a Corn Snake or California Kingsnake, There all pretty cheap and as long as they arent tiny they're hard to kill.
Yea, I already have a Cali.kingsnake hatchling (who is already a foot and a half). A corn snake does sound good, but I my mom wouldn't want another snake (she doesn't like 'em as much). :-/

As far as a Leopard Gecko, I'm considering one. Though, petland discounts wants, I think, $100 for one. To think, just the other day they had one, being given away cause the poor thing was blind and no one wanted to but him. Lucky one of the co-workers took him.

T Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crested's are easy to care for and cheap to feed. Room temperature and a little misting is all you need to do.

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So What Are Geckos Supposed Cost?

Are Geckos supposed to be $275 and higher? I've ventured throughout sites and saw some that pirce (and higher). I've even seen a Snow Gecko (gorgeous) for $2,000!

tigger_my_T.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have heard kingsnakes are really aggressive

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As far as a Leopard Gecko, I'm considering one. Though, petland discounts wants, I think, $100 for one.
NO. Do NOT under any circumstances buy a gecko from a chain like petco or petland. Just don't do it. They tend to be in terrible health and up and die on you, we just had a PetCo or Petland or whatever gecko die here on the forums in the last few weeks I think. Don't support the way these stores treat their animals; look on the for sale/trade forum here or look through the breeder reviews to find other sites. Even shipped to you, they'll often be cheaper than what the pet stores are demanding for their crappy parasite-ridden lizards.

Are Geckos supposed to be $275 and higher? I've ventured throughout sites and saw some that pirce (and higher). I've even seen a Snow Gecko (gorgeous) for $2,000!
With any reptile, the exotic morphs are gonna cost you an arm and a leg. And with any reptile, there will be sites charging you five or ten times what other sites are charging you for essentially the same animal. You can get most of the more common color patterns for under a hundred bucks from online breeders if you keep looking.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In general, snakes are much easier and less expensive to keep than lizards. Unless you plan on raising your own insect supply, you'll be running to the pet store a few times a week for crickets and such, as opposed to stocking up on frozen mice once a month or two. Snakes also only need to eat once every 7-10 days, in general. A dozen crickets costs about the same as a frozen mouse, and something like a growing bearded dragon will go through several dozen a week, plus greens. Most diurnal lizards also require higher temps than snakes, and a separate UVB bulb, which adds to the cost of the initial setup and electric bills overall. A 15" bearded dragon would also require larger living quarters than a 3' corn or king snake.

One of my favorite snakes, and one of the easiest to keep, is a rubber boa. They can be kept at room temps, although somewhere around 80 is probably better. They also stay small, usually under 2', and don't need to eat as frequently as something like a corn or king snake. Basically, all the setup you'd need is a 25-40 watt bulb or small heating pad, a 10 gallon tank and top, some substrate and hides.

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think both the leopard gecko and crested gecko are good choices as I have both as pets. Personally or IMO the leopard is a little eaiser to care for, yes they need more heat (like an under tank heat mat for example) but don't require misting. My leopard will also pick a spot or corner in her tank as the bathroom, easy to clean that way.

Here's a couple links for leopard breeders, 'ya you have to pay shipping costs but you get a nice healthy CB pet. Check your own area for local breeders also.

www.geckoranch.com

www.thebestgeckos.com

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't go wrong with a leopard gecko. They are VERY easy to take care of.

All you need is the tank w/ hides, substrate (newspaper, etc.), water/food dish, calcium supplement, and a heating source!

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you can persuade your mom, definitely go with another snake. My first reptile was my Bearded Dragon. I love her so much, but once she is finally gone, which will be a sad day indeed, I don't think I'll be getting any more lizards. They eat more, they poop more, they need more. Not saying there not awesome, just snakes are easier and just as rewarding.:D

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've raised my dragon from a hatchling. I'm not big into reptiles but I have experience - dragons are great starter pets and good for people who grow atatched to them (just look at beardeddragon.org). I honestly have found him rather dull. Not much of a predator. He doesn't bite - he munches. But all beardies are rather hardy, like a dry environment and allthough they eat a lot they will be active and many find easy to interract with.

They do eat a lot, it costs me around 15 pounds to feed in summer, 10 in winter. If you livred in Ireland I'd be more than happy to sell him to you cheap. It's really hard to sell a dragon if you don't live in a city for some reason.