Frogs,Frogs,Frogs !!!!!!!!!!

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:rolleyes: Well, I have a new hobby to go along with my normal tarantula keeping passion - I have recently gotten into frogs...I have an American toad (Bufo americanus ) 2 Argentinean horned frogs,also known as Pac-man frogs ( Ceratophyrs ornatus ) and 3 Leopard frogs which are indigenous to the southern area of the United States but I dont know their scientific name yet.Frogs are actually quite comical and funny animals - my two Pac man frogs are both huge and make the oddest creaky croak at 3:00am in the morning to about daybreak - it almost sounds mechanical or something.And they will eat a small mouse no problem! amazing mouths on them.Most of the time my Pac-mans are fat and lazy and just sit in their water enclosure - totally easy to deal with.

Now the leopard frogs are a lot faster and can leap a great distance so I have to be more careful in opening their cage to feed them - they are a lot leaner and leggier than the toad or Pac-mans...

I have my frogs worked into my spider collection so it is an odd arrangement in my room - spiders and frogs and snakes and rats and geckos....heeheehee.....just my latest pasttime....) :}

The Evil Spider Hunter:p

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey nice frog collection. I'd like to get an albino bullfrog. They have them at lllreptile.com. Pretty cool looking.
Steve

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
SH, you picked up some nice frogs there. Those Pac-mans are some interesting frogs. They're just mouths on legs. :) Leopard frogs are pretty cool, and actually, they're found all over the eastern US. I don't know their exact range, but there are two subspecies. The northern leopard I have found as far north as upstate NY. The southern leopard I have seen around the GA/FL border. I don't know how far west their ranges extend, but I believe their ranges don't go any further than the Mississippi River. You know, I'm starting to think you don't just have several hobbies, your main hobby is, well, hobbies. =D

Bry

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I desperately need to get laid -

I think that is what is really the problem - heeheehee:p yes, my main hobby is probably the accumulation of other hobbies...I am alway becoming intrigued with new and interesting things as a way of subliminating my repressed sex drive.:eek: too funny.It gives me something to do...I am like that John Travolta character in Phenomenon where he was always reading about something or puttering with some new stuff=D

Thankyou for the info on the leopard frogs Bry...that really informed me where there species range lies and I did not know that there were two variants of them!!!

:} The Evil Spider Hunter

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try some red eyed tree frogs, or waxy monkey tree frogs, or white's tree frogs, all are hardy.
Ed

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought I read somewhere that Pixie frogs are the same as Pac man frogs, true or false?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
I thought I read somewhere that Pixie frogs are the same as Pac man frogs, true or false?
In terms of general care, I'd say "true" but they an entirely different species. Personally, I prefer the "Pixies" (short for Pyxicephalis) as they have a bit more personality than the pac man.

The Southern Leopard Frog is Rana urticularia sphenocephala

Wade

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The enemy has some Pixies for sale and I was really wanting to pick one up, heh.

(Petco)

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did someone say Hardy?

It's been rainy and the other day we came across a frog on the porch so I captured him to show my son but my two year old daughter ended up LOOOOOVing it. Anyway, I thought it would be cute to get her a little frog and was looking at some Fire-Belly Toads but the caresheet I read said they needed flourescent lighting and what not.
Anyway, what would be a cute little frog that is easy to care for and isn't too sensitive.

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always suggest green tree frogs... they're extremely easy to care for, rather tolerant of occassional handling and general care issues. If you get some males, they'll croak at night. And best of all, they're cheap. :)

I keep horned frogs, white's tree frogs, a tanzanian tree frog, green tree frogs, and a rococo toad.

Rav