Getting a new centipede...hopefully.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been looking into getting a centipede for a while now and I think i am ready. I want to get the egyptian emerald centipede (scolopendra sp.). I was wondering if they burrow, and if so how often are they visible. Also, i read that these are a smaller kind of centipede. How big do they get? thanks any help is appreciated.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
just about all centipedes are going to burrow for you most of the time. maybe a rare individual in a species would chose not to.

of course, some ppl keep them in such a way as to prevent them from burrowing. and such ppl even have decent success.

if you keep them in a restricted ventilation set up you will probably see it on the surface more, even if you give it the chance to burrow.

my females have laid eggs at around 4-4.5"BL (body length, not counting legs or antenna). i would say ~5"BL is the reasonable upper limit for this species/locality morph

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not as bad as obligate burrowing tarantulas or trapdoor spiders

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If everything works out i will be getting the emerald egyptian centipede and the metallic brown trapdoor spider. thanks for the help.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is it right?

This is the emerald centipede right? This is the one i want to get. I found one for $25.00 around 3 inches at botarby8s.com... Are there any pedes that grow to a bigger size and are colorful? perhaps i will get two and the trapdoor.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Whats this?

I like this one of yours too :eek: Whats the scientific/common name of it?

These are very cool!

LasidoraGT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think its called a cherry headed or something like that. and dnt get a trapdoor, you will make me jelus (idk how to spell that)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

This is the emerald centipede right? This is the one i want to get. I found one for $25.00 around 3 inches at botarby8s.com... Are there any pedes that grow to a bigger size and are colorful? perhaps i will get two and the trapdoor.
that is an Ethmostigmus sp. probably trigonopodus. "bluering legs" (there is a yellow legs of the same species... totally different pede though!). bluerings are another excellent starter. avoid the yellowlegs though. hurts like hell to get bit by them

p.s. i can't actually see the photobucket pics so i am looking at the file names when i quote =P

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like this one of yours too :eek: Whats the scientific/common name of it?

These are very cool!
another egyptian emerald

i have/had two out of about 20 that have ruby legs. iirc, both were males. hopefully i mated one to one of my females and will get some babies this spring :D

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That egyptian emerald is beautiful! Thats amazing! I will defnitly get one of these if all goes well. I havent made my final decisions on what ALL im getting yet but the emerald centipede is most definitly on the list! Thanks for the help cacoseraph.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sure thing

just remember... not all emeralds are going to look the same. some are more washed out and some are more crisp and vivid in color. if you get a washed out one... you should try getting another =P

as i might have said, this is THE hobby species we can sex based on external morphology (for now) :D