The Haul from Today's Show

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What do you know! The show I went to today actually had something besides emps! :D (Actually, there weren't any emps.) I got one of every species they had.

0.1.0 (though it looks kinda male) Centruroides excilicauda, "Gertchi" morph

I'm assuming it's WC, so my fingers are crossed that "she's" gravid. :)

0.1.0 Hadrurus arizonensis

This one the guy said was gravid -- I know chances are virtually nil that they'll survive, but I figure it's worth a shot.

0.0.1 Vaejovis spinigerus

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
couple of AZ scorps huh? That Gertchi reminds me of the little one I found here in AZ. But apparently the big female wasn't very happy with her in her tank. Next time I will keep it separate.

Congrats on the new additions.

P.S. I'm still not clear on whether or not it is an exilicauda or sculpturatus.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome man, next week I'm going an I'm getting a cavimanus, and a het.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some very nice additions you have there! Hopefully I'll be able to go to Repticon. :D

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely a male exilicauda, sorry.

Nice lookin scorps though.

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a sculpturatus!! exilicauda is only from Baja Cali.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is a male? Crap. Oh well; the dealer's specialty is tarantulas. I'm lucky he had any scorps in. Maybe I should have looked at the "unsexed" ones a little closer. (Edit: maybe the baby mystery scorp I suspect to be the same species is female and these guys live long enough for that to work . . . but if I have a gertchi, I'd rather mate it with another gertchi.)

The only reference I've seen regarding the naming whatnot is on the Scorpion Files, and they say it's all C. excilicauda now.

Thanks for the congrats. :D

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the whole sculpturatus/exilicauda name thingy was changed a few months ago..Do to a protien differents in the venom they are different species with sculpturatus being in California,Arizona,Nevada,New Mexico,Mexico and exilicuada only from Baja California.

If you want I can find the paper I have on it and send it to you?

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What do you know! The show I went to today actually had something besides emps! :D (Actually, there weren't any emps.) I got one of every species they had.
The show only had 3 species? Cool scops though. I have a pallid desert hairy myself. quick question: http://scorpions.isaac-online.com/ says Hadrurus arizonensis can be kept communally in small numbers, but also that Hadrurus spadix cannot be. I've definitely heard Desert Hairys should be kept solitary. Do you know if Hadrurus arizonensis really can be kept communally? I'd love to toss another desert hairy in with mine.

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The desert hair NOT communal I have tried many times dont risk it, spadix either, you have a better chance with the V.S but they will kill each other too......Oh and put the H.A on sand.....they like tp dig and throw sand everywhere.........Cheers and congrats

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the whole sculpturatus/exilicauda name thingy was changed a few months ago..Do to . . .
:wall: :wall: :wall: I love taxonomy, I loathe taxonomy revisions. The paper would be nice. (if you can't PM, use the "email user" link :).)

The show only had 3 species?
I know! And that was all at one vendor. The last show I saw him at in September he had one V. spinigerus listed under its common name, so I didn't get it. He also had a couple centipedes.

Nice new additions you got there Mike, good luck!
Thanks Brendan! I've got the V. spinigerus and the Centruroides whatteverthehellus on some coco fiber and the H. arizonensis is waiting for her packed wet sand to dry. She keeps trying to burrow in her delicup.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you really want to be a stickler about it...the "gertschi" forms probably shouldn't even be considered scuplturatus...
Probably it's own species...or a natural hybrid between sculpturatus and vittatus.

and don't worry...you should be able to find a female for him relatively easy if you search the FS posts.

Chris

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you really want to be a stickler about it...
BLEAEARRRGHH!!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

and don't worry...you should be able to find a female for him relatively easy if you search the FS posts.
A female gertchi morph? 'Cause that would be cool.

Forgot to mention, I sexed the V. spinigerus as being male.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there are 3 types of 'exilicauda' in the phoenix area alone. one is a smaller, yellow to bright orange form which is the most common type seen in the trade. then there is gertschi found just north of phoenix. then there is the giant form. they are twice the size of the other 2 forms. they are also a pale almost tan/gray color. nothing like the other 2 morphs. i have kept all 3 and im convinced the nominate form and gertschi are exilicauda and the 3rd giant form is sculpturatus;) this summer, i will have to go out and collect all 3 forms and take some photos to show the differences.

all 3 are found in slightly different habitat as well. the nominate form is found in lower elevation desert and is very common in the city as well. they inhabit just about any habitat available

gertschi is found at higher elevations in the juniper belt from about 3000 ft to about 5000 ft in elevation (rough estimation). all the way up to just below the pine belt. these guys seem to prefer ground level under rocks. quite often, you will flip a rock and there will be one stuck to the bottom of the rock right by your fingers!

the giant form is found in the high desert right around the transition zone from high desert to juniper belt. they prefer cliff faces and giant bouler outcrops. i know this is typical of most centruriodes, but you can find the others pretty much in any habitat. the giant ones seem to only be found in giant boulder fields and cliff faces. i have only found them in one mountain range so far. i want to search a few other places for them this summer.

this summer, i will take pics of habitat and the scorps and post them

-josh

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the info . . . for the time being, I'll just call it C. exilicauda "gertchi" and try to breed him with something that looks similar and is IDed as either scupturatus or exilicauda.

:)

Warduke

Arachnopeon
Very nice and thanks for the info at the show and for telling me about this site.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You're welcome! :D Were you the guy I chatting with at Dean's table (NW Inverts)?