Top 10 Most Aggressive T's

BRavorius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok guys. I'd love to see the responses on this one. After almost being wrecked by my Cobalt Blue (Beast), I got curious. What are the 10 most aggressive T's out there? Keep in mind theres a difference between Defensive and Aggressive. If you just get confused, just list off some you think are pretty dangerous. ;P

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The loose leaf Lapsang Souchong I brew gets my vote... lots of caffeine in this T... really takes a bite out of me in the morning.

Eric

MkIIIkid

Arachnopeon
None of them... period.

-Sean
NO tarantula is aggressive. really? thats like saying NO dog is aggressive. i can understand if you were to say "very few are apt to be overly aggressive, only defensive" but you chose the absolute, NONE EVER IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER WILL EVER BE AGGRESSIVE AT ALL EVER. i have to disagree with you.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
NO tarantula is aggressive. really? thats like saying NO dog is aggressive. i can understand if you were to say "very few are apt to be overly aggressive, only defensive" but you chose the absolute, NONE EVER IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER WILL EVER BE AGGRESSIVE AT ALL EVER. i have to disagree with you.
A funny way to blow it out of perspective, but I'll give you this, at ArachnoCon, I will safely handle ANY spider presented to me, (as I did last year). I welcome your 'aggressive' spiders.:rolleyes:

I find it hard to call any act of something so small, 'aggressive'. Its defensive, all of it. Because we're always intruding on THEIR cages, and THEIR space, it is considered defensive. Video tape one getting out of its cage and stalking you, then I'll literally print out this post and eat it. As Joe put it, I'll eat my own words.

-Sean

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Obviously no T is going to significantly impair a human. I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page as far as that goes. But thanks for your input Buzz Killington.
You specifically asked for 'Aggressive', NOT 'Defensive', so my answer was appropriate in my opinion.

-Sean

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Video tape one getting out of its cage and stalking you, then I'll literally print out this post and eat it. As Joe put it, I'll eat my own words.

-Sean[/QUOTE]

LoL!! i agree with Sean. they do get Defensive thou

BRavorius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A funny way to blow it out of perspective, but I'll give you this, at ArachnoCon, I will safely handle ANY spider presented to me, (as I did last year). I welcome your 'aggressive' spiders.:rolleyes:
I understand where you are coming from with the idea of only being defensive. But take for instance, the definition [according to Dictionary.com]

1. characterized by or tending toward unprovoked offensives, attacks, invasions, or the like; militantly forward or menacing: aggressive acts against a neighboring country.
2. making an all-out effort to win or succeed; competitive: an aggressive basketball player.
3. vigorously energetic, esp. in the use of initiative and forcefulness: an aggressive salesperson.
4. boldly assertive and forward; pushy:

I believe there are tarantulas that hold a majority of those traits.
Also, in nature, there are no "unprovoked offenses". If you'd like me to expand on that idea, let me know, I would be happy to.

Oh and if you get bit by a spider I let you hold, does that mean they are aggressive? Haha...

Last edited:

roberto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I understand where you are coming from with the idea of only being defensive. But take for instance, the definition [according to Dictionary.com]

1. characterized by or tending toward unprovoked offensives, attacks, invasions, or the like; militantly forward or menacing: aggressive acts against a neighboring country.
2. making an all-out effort to win or succeed; competitive: an aggressive basketball player.
3. vigorously energetic, esp. in the use of initiative and forcefulness: an aggressive salesperson.
4. boldly assertive and forward; pushy:

Also, in nature, there are no "unprovoked offenses".

Oh and if you get bit by a spider I let you hold, does that mean they are aggressive? Haha...
So, a lion taking down an impala, or a T stalking a cricket, is not an "unprovoked offense"?
Aggression is a matter of perspective. When I stick my hand into my subfusca's tank and get bit, it is defensiveness. If I throw a dubia in there and she aggressively lashes out trying to kill and eat it, that is just nature in action. When it comes to the later, even a G. pulchra is aggressive. But mine isn't too defensive.

BRavorius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, a lion taking down an impala, or a T stalking a cricket, is not an "unprovoked offense"?
Aggression is a matter of perspective. When I stick my hand into my subfusca's tank and get bit, it is defensiveness. If I throw a dubia in there and she aggressively lashes out trying to kill and eat it, that is just nature in action. When it comes to the later, even a G. pulchra is aggressive. But mine isn't too defensive.
If a a tarantula is stalking a cricket, I'm going to say that 10 times out of 10, it is a very hungry Tarantula. Same with the lion. If something is hungry, that wouldn't be unprovoked. Provoked doesn't only have to with violence, it can be something so simple as a stomach ache.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
While I cant speak for the OP, I would much rather have a thread about people's most unfriendly T's than a war over aggressive vs. defensive.

Of the four I have, my G rosea is the most unfriendly. When I first got her, I could easily pick her up and even toss her around if I wanted :D But now she is a nasty 'female dog' and will attack everything that touches her.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shadow has it right. Most T's are naturaly defensive ~ versus aggressive.
Of all the T's we have...the most likely to tag you is one of our N. chromatus or maybe an A. genic.
Everybody else tends to stay in their hide and be pretty content their respective corners.....
We have several 'hot' sp.; and the most present threat of a bite still seems to come from a 'display' T.....

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard that H. lividums and T. blondis can be exceedingly defensive at times, but every T has it's own personality. Some can be quite docile (even amongst Ts with bad reps) and some can be quite mean (even amongst the Ts with good reps for being docile, i.e. the rose hair).

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Also, in nature, there are no "unprovoked offenses". If you'd like me to expand on that idea, let me know, I would be happy to.
Believe me, I know all the arguments. You must also look at this from a tarantula's point of view. With their rather limited perspective on things, what is considered 'threatening' to them, is pretty much everything. You walking in the room sends shudders through the floor, so it may provoke a defensive reaction.. turning on the lights even.

If you sit completely still, and watch the T, it won't come out of its cage and hunt you, I promise. They simply do not attack 'aggressively'.

I'll give you $20. It really won't classify it as aggressive, but I assure you, I won't get bit.

-Sean

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll give you $20. It really won't classify it as aggressive, but I assure you, I won't get bit.

-Sean[/QUOTE]

So are you saying someone could hand you ANY T and you could free-handle it without getting fanged? Or am I just reading something wrong? If so that's either very impressive or very cocky. I'm leaning toward the latter.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
taking 30 seconds to search the forums will yield many threads that cover this exact topic. :rolleyes:

any T can be quite defensive..i've seen pics of G. rosea that looked like they were ready to bite someones hand off, and i've seen pics of people handling various Pterinochilus with no problem. (all of this info has been repeated time and time again as well.)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So are you saying someone could hand you ANY T and you could free-handle it without getting fanged? Or am I just reading something wrong? If so that's either very impressive or very cocky. I'm leaning toward the latter.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=89070

I think if we let this thread go to completion and then made a list of species that Cacoseraph, Shadowblade and myself have free-handled, I'm pretty sure there'd be at least an 80-90% correlation. I think you'd be at least somewhat impressed to learn that there are relatively very few tarantula bites between us.

I have handled Haplopelma (including an on-hand venom dripping threat display from a female H. lividium), Pternochilus, Poecilotheria and Scolopendra amongst others. Never have I been bitten.

I'm not as cocky as Sean...and I do not condone this. At best, it's incredibly stupid...almost like trying to light fireworks with your junk. You will eventually get bitten and it's not going to be fun.

I know the behaviors and quirks of all my spiders and from what I've seen, if they do bite something they're going to bite something they consider a threat. To a spider, you are a threat. You can habitualize them to your presence somewhat, but as long as you are in their space...you are a threat.

If you are not in their space, you are not a threat. I hear stories from people (mostly those new to keeping inverts) all the time about their spiders running out of their burrows and throwing threat displays when they walk by a tank and this I simply know to be a lie. A spider will simply not go out of it's way to bite someone...this is what the 'aggressive' label implies.

A spider will defend it's burrow with it's life, however.

Of course, we could spend days arguing about 'aggressively defensive', 'defensively aggressive', 'offensive aggression', 'unprovoked defensive responses' and loads of other semantic terms.

However, the bottom line is that when given a choice tarantulas will take the coward's way out 100% of the time.

Oh, yeah...and don't handle OW spiders because one widely publicized bad bite and things are over for us as a hobby.

And don't light fireworks with your privates, either.