A Coastal Burrowing Species from Australia

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is an adult female Urodacus novaehollandiae I have had since March last year. She lives quite happily inside a takeaway size food container. The container has a hollow log with a peat/soil mix kept slightly damp, the container is pretty well sealed off.

She is reaching parturition, I'd say it will be March some time when she has the young. When I first got her she weighed 2.35g, she now weighs 3.45g, a weight increase of nearly 50%. Quite a neat scorpion, she is about 80-90mm in length.

This species is an obligate burrower living coastally and sometimes within metres of lapping waves. In South Australia they tend to occupy shell grit soils rich in decaying organic matter.

Nella Bella

Arachnopeon
Mark, I just ordered your book the other day, my friend who owns a reptile shop told me about. I just bought a Urodacus Novaehollandiae (6 months) a few weeks ago and hope to learn as much as possible for my scorpion. :)

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Thanks for sharing! That is quite amazing that they live so close the the sea water. Do you think the salt content in the soil benefits them somehow?

brolloks

Arachnobaron
lol, and I usually spot it but not this time :wacky:

Why do they dig up these old graves..

Nella Bella

Arachnopeon
I realised it was a dead thread but thought maybe people posting would get notified? or not true?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I realised it was a dead thread but thought maybe people posting would get notified? or not true?
That would depend on whether they were still set up to get email notifications. You can choose to switch those on and off in your individual profile settings.
It was still a fantastic post to resurrect, though. Maybe you can continue where they left off and add your experience?

Nella Bella

Arachnopeon
That would depend on whether they were still set up to get email notifications. You can choose to switch those on and off in your individual profile settings.
It was still a fantastic post to resurrect, though. Maybe you can continue where they left off and add your experience?
Thanks Vanessa! It is a great thread and I hope to start this one back up again.. Ill take some photos/weight and terrarium details shortly with some updates/progress. :)