OBT molt question(T molt in general i guess)

$pider

Arachnopeon
so while i was at work i get home and my obt has popped but hes still on his back moving his new body and legs and such, is he stuck? or does it take a while for them to be like "oh im out of my old skin, i don't want to just turn over yet", it doesn't appear he's stuck at all i don't think, also should i remove the molt while she's on his back? thanks

p.s. i bought it as a female but i see the hooks , oh well!

Last edited:

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
let the spider do it's thing. i usually never remove the molt until the spider is finished and up on all 8 "feet" again. well..unless the molt was clear of the spider. removal can wait though..no need to bother the spider.

if you see hooks, she is a he. :( not just any he..a he with limited time. if you paid extra for a female, i'd talk to the person you bought it from. otherwise, find someone with a female.

$pider

Arachnopeon
yeah he flipped over and seems to be alright, thx for the quick response, i guess it kinda sucks because i've only had him for like 3 weeks...etc and now he doesn't have much longe rto live :(

Sabatta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's good to leave the molt in the tank for a while because some species seem to enjoy munching on their former self. It's speculated that they recycle their nutrients. I like to think they are teething.

bokgrasul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my country we have a saying :"a kick in the back is a step forward".
Maybe you'll find someone honest with a adult female and mate them and you'll have a couple of spiderlings soon....
{D

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is a shame. If you are planning to send him out to breed do it asap, OBT males don't last long. Mine died about 5 months after maturing :( Sorry for the gloomy news but it's better to be prepared than to think you have a year and then suddenly lose him.