washable hides?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Anyone have any ideas for what I should buy if I want something for roaches to hide in that could be cleaned by rinsing? I'm thinking plywood...not sure where you'd find something without nasty chemicals though.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about ice cube trays? They're shaped similarly to egg crate and it's plastic which can go right in your dishwasher when you need to. I probably would shy away from any type of processed wood because of the chemicals they use to make it. Burning ply wood or partical board is illegal in most places because the fumes pollute and can cause serious harm to a person if they inhale the smoke. Plus wood absorbs moisture which would make cleaning a little more difficult.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good idea on the ice cube trays! I think for lobster roaches they should be fine as the roaches can climb glass so should have no problem utilizing them.

4thGEN

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah the ice cube tray thing is a good idea, however where the water goes it should be pretty slick for dubias. nothing that sandpaper couldnt handle.

great idea.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
remember, mechanical grip opposes cleanliness

that is, the more micro nooks and crannies for the non-scopulate roaches, the more nooks and crannies for crap to hide in on washing

that being said, i don't really think it would be that big of a deal =P

edit:
i think i am going to have to buy some ice trays at the 99c store. that is a cool idea

(cool...ice hehehehe)

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Some good ideas for washing the roach homes, but what do you do with the roaches while their homes are in the dishwasher?? :?

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cork board

We have "a" piece of cork bark, with the outer bark on it, when it was originally placed in our Hisser tank. It's been in there for at least 18 months now and this is what they have done to it.

As you can see it gets really porous where all the little babies can hide. :mad:

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Some good ideas for washing the roach homes, but what do you do with the roaches while their homes are in the dishwasher?? :?
Have back up pieces and swap out dirty one for clean ones. An eight foot section of PVC makes a lot of hides I use them for scorpions, tarantulas, hermit crabs, etc.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Corkbark=way too expensive for roach feeder colonies.

Drachenjager: Isn't cork board glued together? I'd worry of it eventually falling apart especially if stuff(pupating mealworms) begin burrowing into it.

PVC is not efficient enough. Would waste alot of space.

I guess if you could collect up a ton of sweater box and rubbermaid lids, they'd be perfect.

tyrant963

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just bought a bunch of ice cube trays. They were 3 for $1 at the dollar store;)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aha!

Terra cotta plant pots! Get the broken ones at discount, maybe bash them in a bit more if you want, and you are in business.