New to the club!!

MEnTAL Clown

Arachnopeon
Hi all!!

Yesterday, I got the funniest gift ever. My girlfriend ( who owns a pet shop) gave me a baby emperor scorpion barely 1 inches long. It was born from a adult scorpion they got and didnt knew was pregnant. I never though of getting one but now I'm hooked to it. :D

I was reading different threads here and found many instructive ones... thanks!

I have a question about handling that "mini-monster", can a scorpion jump and are they able to climb downward?

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
emps cant climb the side of a tank
and i never heard of a scorp jumping

"hooked"? you dont even know the half of it. youll have many more very soon, this hobby is like a black hole

Felkon

Arachnopeon
Your girlfriend owns a pet store? Good fishing you did there, son. ;) Haha unfortunately for me, my girlfriend hates herps & bugs.

And no... scorpions don't jump! Some can hiss and spit their venom though.

And depends what its trying to crawl down from...

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
As the others have already said, scorps can't jump.

Some species of scorpion are very adept at climbing, but the emp is not one of them. They can and do climb, but are more prone to falling than most species due to their sheer weight.

Cheers,
Dave

MEnTAL Clown

Arachnopeon
I was asking because I can't help be handling the thing, I know it's a source of stress for it and all but I didnt get the thing to watch it burrow tunnels... I wouldn't like it to end up on the floor though... that thing is fast as hell!!!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, please give it at least a little while to settle in. Handling is a decision you have to make for yourself, but the benefit of an acclimatization period can make all the difference.

Cheers,
Dave