Help!!! My Tarantula Is Dying!!!

n9inchnails

Arachnopeon
My Guatemala Red Rump has some sort of orange fungus or some kind of infection underneath her abdomen, it covers most of it and shes not eating anything, does anyone now what this is, and is there any hope for my baby :8o

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry I cant help but will keep my fingers crossed for her. xx

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure it's a fungus/mold?
How moist have you been keeping the substrate? Do you see mold on any of the substrate?
I'd like to say put her in an ICU but if it is indeed fungus/mold, I'm not sure that moisture would help to get rid of it.
Honestly from here it looks like an abrasion more than anything but it's hard to tell from that picture.
I personally haven't seen anything like it.
Just keep water in her dish for now, until someone else gives better help.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree with Truff, it looks like an abraison or part of an old molt rather then mold or fungi.

the icu wont help becouse moisture is what cause fungus or mold

NrthCstInverts

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with truff and dude that it looks more like an abrasion, or old "skin", i hate to say this but if its possible without totally stressing her to death, can you get a slightly straighter cleaner pic of the spot??

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mold of fungus usually has a white/greyish appearance, at least IME. I tend to agree with the others, it looks more like a dried piece off the previous molt.

tamjam69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how is he/she doing now? :?

have you got any better pics yet

n9inchnails

Arachnopeon
She's now DEAD from her refusal to eat anything after the 8+ years i had her, and i'll post a much better pic to see if anyone can tell me what killed my baby. I have not let this experience sour me from tarantulas, i now have a Burmese Cobalt Blue, and a Kilamanjaro Baboon tarantula

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awww... I'm so sorry to hear about your poor baby :( It looks to me like it was an abdominal abrasion. Some tarantulas are notorious for getting abdominal abrasions like this and they will eventually rupture. What kind of substrate were you keeping her on?

-Sarah

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What kind of substrate were you keeping her on?

-Sarah[/QUOTE]

It looks like wood chips to me. That could be the problem.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So sorry about your baby.

You never know for sure what causes T death but it is a good idea for a softer substrate. Peat, Coco fiber, vermiculite....

take care

scolex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Over fed T. blondi's are known for this too. I would use a type of coco fiber/peat moss or even a type of organic poting soil from now on. Thats just my 2 cents on what I do.