Does anyone have experience using

roberto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heatmats for T's? Cause, I am seriously considering using one.:)

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Search heat mat. There are currently some "heated" discussions going on.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dear God, please tell me you're kidding..... I can't even find the words right now..... just run a search.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's a few threads on heatmats on here and it seems like a lot of people don't use them, don't like them, or recommend not using one at all because it can cook the T. Some people will recommend that if you absolutely have to use one, put it on the side of the T's container, not on the bottom.

As for me, I have a 75w infrared heat lamp about a foot above the nearest T container and it's angled so that all my Ts can get some of the heat. Most of my OBT slings like to press their bodies against the sides of their containers and bask in it. My smaller slings and my adult G. rosea don't seem to care that it's there.

I just have to make sure it doesn't get too hot for them. I usually leave it on all day and night and it's pretty much at 68-74 degrees while it's on, depending on the time of day and room temperature.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I still think that I will use one.
Did you run a search? Did you not find all of the info against using one? Are you related to crazy monkey? God.... I just don't get it. Fine. Cook your T. Just remember that when you buy a T you are taking responsibility to care for it. If you are un willing to do even the simplest of things to make sure that it is being cared for properly then I hope it at least tags you before you burn it up.

roberto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was going to let this go for a while but I fear for my well being.

Just kidding!:}

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Haha, I kinda figured, but couldn't keep my mouth shut.... I look the fool, but I'm still laughing. If you can't laugh at yourself... right? I'll give credit where it's due, good one.

Fresher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i use a heat mat for my B.smithi and B.Bohoemi, the mat only covers half the enclosures, it keeps them at a constant 70 F in the morning and never goes above 80 at night. I haven't had any problems. :?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you know... some of us *choose* to enjoy life and not get all huffy about stuff

obviously some of us have chosen a different path

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Search heat mat. There are currently some "heated" discussions going on.
LOL, HEATED discussions, no pun intended right?

People on here generally caution against the pratice of using heat mats. That is gonna bee what you find out. I would say 18 of of 20 members on here would say no don't do it.

Pestilence

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
never use the word "heat mat" ... not unless you wanna get a heated debate started. {D

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Flex watt

I use flex watt from the beanfarm. Get the narrowest 3 or 4". If you stack your KK or tanks you can run the same piece up the side or back of several containers and buy a piece as long as you need and run it off the same cord. Puts out very mild (95F??) radient heat and doesn't really affect the temp of the container at all. The only way the T will receive any heat is if it huddles up near the area adjacent to the cage. My office gets to 62F each evening and my A. seemanni is up next to it each a.m. when I come in my office. My G. rosea doesn't use it. Di

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you really need to use one, i would suggest getting one that is not over 4-8watts. They produce little heat, but is good enough to provide alittle warmth if the T needs it. And, remember, it's best to place it on the side of the enclosure, not under. Also, i wouldn't even think about going the heat lamp route. :eek:

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use heatmats on all of my T tanks and have never yet roasted or boiled one.

Perhaps it's because I use common sense when applying it?? {D

I place the mat on the side of the enclosure, and on smaller tanks have two tanks sharing a heat mat. Certainly this will cause the air to dry, but I step up the water checks and monitor carefully.