Fleas coming in with organic potting soil?

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A couple of months ago I bought a really nice Rose Hair, and just having read the rose hair post I decided to buy some organic potting soil for the substrate. I reached into the enclose a couple of days later to change the water and two fleas jumped on my hand! Now I have two cats, but neither ever go outside and I treated the house throughly for fleas last summer and use frontline on the kitties..... Could they have come with the soil? Has anyone ever had parasites/pests found in organic soil? I've never used it in the Usambara tank, and haven't noticed a single flea in that one. (Thank God, I still don't know how I'm ever going to move him to another tank if I need to) I changed the substrate, and poor rosie hates it....... :( I noticed more in there today, but stilll none in the other tank. Should I bleach the tank and try a different brand of soil? Thanks in advance......

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I'd change the tank if you can.
The fleas could have came from any where.
If you have been to a friends place or a family member,
anywhere. They will hitch a ride on a human and infest your house even if you do not have any pets!

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you just bought this rose hair, maybe it came from the petshop or dealer?

Edit: what's the name of this potting soil? i also used a potting soil for my red knee, i see nothing as of yet.