"Kid" scorps

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey scorpy peoples. :)

I want to get the twins a few more scorpions.

They won't be handled but I do have five year olds and until they get older I want to stick to low venom species.

Better safe then sorry when you mix Murphy's law and rug rats. :D

So what do you guys suggest along the lines of species.
Mild venom, nifty colors would be nice and a goodish size.

The twins are steadly increasing their invert collection. And though they arn't up for centipedes yet.
Those I know wil come with time and age.

But these two little girls are HIGHLY into this hobby and I'm all for it with them. I just want to make the best choices for their safty and my peace of mind.

They could be in they're tanks for ten years and never get out or have any accidental contact. But, when mixing kids and critters I would rather err on the side of caution.

So whatcha think?

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ethiopian tricolors (Pandinus colei) have low venom and some mighty nice colors.

Risto

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure this invert collection is for your twins? And not you?

LOL!!;P

Mat

SurfinJB

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not sure if you have a flatrock- but they're so ugly you got to love'em. Can't go wrong with them.

My 3/4in flatrock

A good old emp

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agrre with the flatock scorp something that has a long lifespan that your kids can grow up with and enjoy.:)

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I say go with the Red Claw scorpion (Pandinus cavimanus). The males are really quite attractive with the orange coloration and the large claws. A favorite scorpion of mine.:cool:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
In adition to Hadogenes (flat-rocks), there are other genra in the Ischnuridae family that have incredibly benign venom. Opisthacanthus is starting to pop up on several people's lists now. They are smaller than Hadogenes, but I find them to be even more docile. Liocheles is a personal favourite of mine, on paper, but I have never been able to actualy get my hands on some.

Cheers,
Dave

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks!

Am writting all of them down to hunt for em. :)
--
Static_69 : Those look wild. :) I was looking at pictures of them but one place said they were low venom, another high,,,, so figured I would find out the best critters from people that actualy Have the critters. :)
--
chau0046 : I personaly have a few low tollerance for sting and bite venom... hell I carry several epipens to get me to a hospital after a wasp sting... So I never honestly before the twins thought about keeping inverts since I myself was a child and had all kinds of " creepy crawlers " I do adore them myself, my early interest revitalized. But the twins fell in love with spiders and their love for inverts has Grown Massivly. So yep. These are the twins critters.
--
jper26 : Yeah a good lifespan is a good thing. They are five years old and pet deaths Truely upset them. They understand well enough and handle it well. But they do get attatched and I want them to have as many that will be around for a while as possable. Maybe get some babies out of it. Watching their Emp give birth was a Great experience for them. One that held them rapt and silent except for little squeals for each. Heck, they enjoyed that more then the cartoon network....
--
Diao : Ooooo, just saw a pic. Very nice. :)
--
skinheaddave: I've seen alot of pictures without names and much in the way of ident of scorps that are just awsome looking. But I don't know what half of them are.
I think my Personal favorite just by sight and pictures is the Smeringus mesaensis. The pale transparent Arizona color morph. The one that looks like silvered glass. I read that the California ones have a yellowish tone. But I just am Awestruck by the pale white/silver ones.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by Nixy
skinheaddave: I've seen alot of pictures without names and much in the way of ident of scorps that are just awsome looking. But I don't know what half of them are.
I think my Personal favorite just by sight and pictures is the Smeringus mesaensis. The pale transparent Arizona color morph. The one that looks like silvered glass. I read that the California ones have a yellowish tone. But I just am Awestruck by the pale white/silver ones. [/B]

I have an S. mesaensis....I really don't know what their venom is like, but I don't get planned on getting stung anyway, lol.
It's awesome to watch them catch crickets with their claws and give them a sting almost immediately.

Risto

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are they as pale as they look in pictures Static?
How are they size wise?
Read about 5 inch abouts.
Have any pics of yours?
I'd Love to see it.

Thanks.
:)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Their venom isn't that bad, but I hear it can be painful. Also, they are very agressive as a species.

As for identification, you can always post a link to the picture and we can try to ID it. I would also recommend you look at the
scorpion files gallery as it has an extensive list of pictures arranged by family. Based on your requirements, I'd recommend picking something from the Ischnuridae or Scorpionidae families.

Cheers,
Dave

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
Are they as pale as they look in pictures Static?
How are they size wise?
Read about 5 inch abouts.
Have any pics of yours?
I'd Love to see it.

Thanks.
:)

In the scorp files there are a lot of variation in color to them.
Mine looks almost exactly like the very 1st pic of an S. mesaensis.
If it said about 5 inches mine must be a juvie because he's about 2 inches.

I don't have any pics, but like I said, the very first pic of the S. mesaensis on the scorp files is a spitting image of what mine looks like.

And Dave is right, they are pretty aggressive.

Risto

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nixi heres a pic of my flatrock i had too lift the rocks up too fing him he likes too squeeze under them.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get a small flatrock Nixy if everything goes right could still be alive when your kids graduate high school. I have great memories of my mom buying me a mexican red knee when i was really little lived too i was about 17 fun having something sturdy.:)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So many!!!

Argh!

Ok. I am Definatly looking for a few flatrock. It would be so neat for them to graduate and look back over the years and remember getting into this hobby. They are so into it and happy with it right now.
Yes in a few years, especialy when they become teens. They might move away from it.
But I know I'll still be going strong. But yeah.... that would be nifty.

A tricolor.... they look wild and the twins went OOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooo when I showed them the pictures.

They Love the scorpion files and thats now shortcutted for them so they can visit it on their own when they have their computer time to look at the pictures.

Momma is going to get a S. mesaensis for myself.
It's turned into a Gotta.....
And though I know they are prolly to blinking hot..... I am drooling over the Lychas species....

I mean Wowza.... Won;t be hunting any down,,, but I am sure impressed with the pictures....

Maybe by the time the twins are old enough there will be some around to be had. :D

Opistophthalmus glabrifrons,,,,, wow......

And the Tityus confluens ,,,, yoiks,,,, good thing I don't have a good deal of money or boy would I be up to my eyesballs in......

Ok..... More up to my eyeballs in inverts....

Thank you So much everyone!

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The best I've seen with Lychas would be L. lappa, but several of them are very awesome. I love a good whiteish tone to the scorp. Agreed on the S. mesaensis, as well on having the great coloration from Arizona, but not caring so much on the yellowed color morph (just too common for me). They're still a good scorp for someone who wants the aggressiveness though. The lack of coloration is just something that really gets me drooling, but Tityus scorps have some unbelieveable colors as well (a little too hot under your current circumstances and quite unavail for most ppl). Most notably when they are younger, but as they mature, T. serrulatus (scorpion which is not said by many to be as 'pretty') begins to change to a peachy color, then into adulthood, yellow, as the common name refers. There are some extremely amazing species out there. I just wish more were avail for the hobby.

adios,
edw. ;)

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
skinheaddave mentioned liocheles was a favorite of his on paper but if the twins want something to see this isn't the specie as i only see mine about once a month

fatbloke