Pale Wind Spider (Scorpion)

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not sure of the latin name or any of the specifics, but this creature is awesome. I found it here in Arizona and it looked interesting so I acquired one for my collection. I tossed a cricket into it enclosure today and it just tore the cricket to shreds, eating every last bit of it. I think right now he is using the leg as a toothpick. I hope to learn a lot more about this guy and I will post pics soon.

-Dustin

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are called solfugids, and be careful of overfeeding!

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
he is about an inch long. Would a small cricket a week be overfeeding?

-Dustin

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That should be fine, if it starts to get really plump hold off feeding for a week or two.

Last edited:

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool. Seems like it will be a nice species to own. Today I built an enclosure that was very similar to its natural environment. Within an hour it had already built a burrow. I'm not sure how often it will come out. Probably only at night.

-Dustin

lostriverdoc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
People down by my way call them sun spiders (don't know why, I've only seen them @ night) did you get any scorps in Tucson this weekend?

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish. I took your advice but only got a chance to go out for like 30 minutes. Within the first 10 minutes I found a Striped-tail and the Sun Spider. I found a few pedes but could get any into the containers. Hopefully I can go again soon.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
That should be fine, if it starts to get really plum hold off feeding for a week or two.
a week or two?! :eek: wow, i wouldn't hold off for that long if i were you... they have such a fast metabolism that a few days should do the charm. you can prob seriously feed them every day (something small of course) and they will be happy.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It has been well documented the solfugids do better when kept at sizes not considered plump. Look at this thread.

I kept a local solfugid for ~8 months via feeding it once every 2 weeks. These cannot be expected to get meals every day to feed upon, they are lucky to get meals once a week in the wild.

So, yes feed it a large meal every week - two weeks and it should be fine.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i keep them alive for 5, 6, 7 months at a go when i feed them sparingly. i have had them molt for me, too. look like superman when they do it. when i fed them a lot i couldn't really get much past 2 months. now i just don't bother with them =P

these are definitely a creature that will overeat to their own detriment

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hopefully he has a decent life span. He has built a nice burrow. I provided him with compacted dirt and then a piece of flagstone. On top of that a light coat of sand. Within an hour he had dug under the flagstone. This morning I saw him running around his cage trying to get out. Apparently they are excellent climbs using their pedipalps.

-Dustin