help millipede questions???

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok at work I ordered two centipedes but instead they sent me two millipedes and I haven't a clue on how to take care of them... one is a black one with red legs, sold as a red leg black millipede, the other is just called a red giant millipede, this distributer makes up these names I'm allmost sure... but any basic info would help a lot thanks

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
There is a little bit of care info on this post that works for most all millipedes...

http://arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10865

There are several other millipede care posts here that a search should dig up for you rather quickly. And you'll find out more about them too, the more you read... You'll likely not find any Latin names for them unless they are a well know species like AGBs or the 2 Giant Desert species that live in our south western deserts. They are all very easy to take care of though and you don't have to worry about taking care of their prey items. Vegetarians make cool pets too :D

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
ok at work I ordered two centipedes but instead they sent me two millipedes
how's that possible?, think what could happen if some kid ordered milipedes and recieved centipedes :mad:

from wich dealer did you orderd them from?

greetz

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh trust me I wouldn't let a kid havea centipede, but they are just retards, I mean they had a tanzanian black tarantula on the list... come to find out it is a dwarf and full grown at 1 inch, but hey its cool anyway.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey triple J

Are you aware that you are in the middle of some of the best millipede, centipede, and scorpion hunting ground in KY? I have been wanting to plan a trip to Eastern KY for a while. The scorpions found there are Vejovis carolinianus or Southern Devil Scorpion. Google it and see what you come up with. As for millipedes I'm not sure what genus/species they are. I have never been interested in the millis as much as my wife so I dont keep up with them. The centipedes I have found in searching the web seem to be some sort of Scolopendromorph. I dont know much more than that about them though. But you should go hunting sometime and see what you get. PM me if you want. But I'm no expert on this stuff by no means.

L8R

Dale

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
How could that happen? Are people really that stupid?

Well, anyway, you ended up with a cool new pet:D
I have 5 millies.

Basic set up:

Tank of your choice(w/screen top) or even a rubber maid box.

Subbstrate: a mix of peat moss, orchid bark and long fibered moss, Oak leaf litter and a little calcium powder.

A water dish and a food dish

Millies will eat any type of veggies and most fruits.
If the fruit is a little past its time no worries, they
won't care:eek: I freeze their food to help break it
down. Just defrost and serve.
Some only eat the litter in the tank. Three of mine actually
eat the wood chips!

They are fun to handle to, but be careful, they secrete
some nasty liquid, wash your hands really good if you
get skunked!
If you need anything, just ask:)

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want babies you shouldn't put a food dish, as it is harder to reach food for smaller ones.

Frank

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was reading through how you care for your millis....and i was just wondering whose poop do you use to feed the babies? lol:D