What "true spider" was on Jay Leno???

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I watched a video on Jay leno that was posted on the boards a while ago with a guy who brought on multiple T's and a few true spiders... One in specific was a true spider that Jay said looked like a cartoon. It was BIG and was being free handled by the guy on the show. Anyone know of the species??? :?

Your help is appreciated, thanks all!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
that was one of the giant orbweavers i believe.prob a Nephilia sp(?)

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been thinking about getting one to add to my collection but I've never kept one in captivity. What's the life span like on one of them? Female and male...

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it was Nephila sp. (golden silk orb weavers)

orb weavers in general have pretty short lifespans (at most a couple years I think). you can find lots of information about them by searching this subforum for 'nephila'.

Last edited:

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went to Queensland (in Australia) recently for a wedding and there were a lot of golden orb weavers of the Nephila genus around. Large and beautiful! Whereas most spiders try to stay hidden much of the time, I notice that Nephila are always highly visible - suspended in webs at head height. You'd think that they would be sitting ducks for birds and other predators.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are they generally as docile as they appear to be in most video's of people handling them? :?

pjstorm

Arachnopeon
Leno video

I would like to see that video! Does anyone have a link? Thanks! They are cool-looking spiders!

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are they generally as docile as they appear to be in most video's of people handling them? :?
I've only had N. clavata (but I'm guessing behavior is pretty much the same throughout the genus)... they may be that docile after they've been on your hand for a while, but they -hate- being separated from their orb web.

I would like to see that video! Does anyone have a link? Thanks! They are cool-looking spiders!
http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/video/episodes.shtml

with 'select episode' selected, scroll right and go to Feb. 5th.