E. pachypus not burrowing?

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I recently changed the substrate in my E. pachypus enclosure. It has been several hours since I re-housed her (since about 2-2:30 pm) and she has not yet burrowed. This is strange because when I first got her she made a burrow in hardly any time at all. I did use a different sphagnum substrate, though. My exotic shop has a shortage of the substrate I used to buy from them, so I've since been using Schultz from Wal-Mart (100% natural organic matter). Could she perhaps have a harder time burrowing into this new shagnum for is she still just getting used to the new surroundings? Even at this hour she seems to show no desire to burrow.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It has been several hours since I re-housed her (since about 2-2:30 pm) and she has not yet burrowed.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Place her somewhere dark and leave her alone and she should adjust soon enough and make a new home. You can even start a burrow for her and she might take to that.

If you go a week or more then you might be a bit worried but it can take some time for them to settle down when you place them in a new home like that, the time line is not set in stone.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In addition to what Ryan said, not all pachypus burrow. They can sometimes choose to web profusely. Since yours burrowed before it probably will again. T's live on an entirely different time plan than we do. I think they get the whole patience thing much better. lol

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not all pachypus burrow.
Oh cool I did not know that. I only have a 1.1 pair. Guess that explains why the male is not burrowing but still looks healthy. :D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd start a burrow somewhere in there, preferably against the glass. She'll probably take to it pretty quickly.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say, don't worry too much over it. Only one of my three Citharischius crawshayi burrowed within the first day of being placed in a new environment. The other two took at least a week to even begin a burrow or accept the premade one I started for them. Plus, my Hysterocrates gigas usually take an entire day or two to even begin burrowing, and with them, they may or may not take the premade burrow. Once they begin burrowing...watch out! The dirt flies! Haha! All that, just to say you don't need to worry about it a whole lot. Your Eucratoscelus pachypus may just be looking for a good spot to start a burrow. They can be rather picky at times.